Research Program Assistant
Starting Salary Range:
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: [[Monday – Friday, 8:30a – 5:00p]]
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 05-MD:School of Public Health
Department name: 10001082-Environmental Health and Engineering
Personnel area: School of Public Health
The purpose of this position is to assist with general duties in Exposure Sciences Laboratory and to conduct field visits at research study participants’ homes and schools in Baltimore City to set up air sampling equipment, and to conduct environmental and health assessments as needed.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Set up and take down equipment at participants’ homes and in schools, data management, and other daily activities in the Exposure Sciences Laboratory.
- Daily tasks will include assembling and calibrating air sampling equipment and taking it to participant homes or schools.
- Will assist with equipment maintenance, preparing samplers, pump calibration, gravimetric analysis, and data summarization.
- Maintains and makes minor adjustments of sampling equipment and records data.
- Additional responsibilities include scheduling home visits, calling participants to remind them of appointments, posting appointments to research calendar; obtaining informed consent from study participants; conducting home environmental and health assessments; collecting environmental samples, health measures and biospecimens; administering questionnaires to participants; dispersing and tracking participant payment.
- High School Diploma/GED. Some related experience.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
* JHU Equivalency Formula:
30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. *
Prefer some related coursework or administrative experience.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, as well as email and phone etiquette; knowledgeable about and comfortable working with children and families in Baltimore City.
- Must own or have regular access to a vehicle.
- Must be willing to drive to participants’ homes and schools and work as part of a team of investigators that assembles and calibrates air sampling equipment.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: