Production Specialist/ Production Coordinator
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/03/OE
Starting Salary Range: $33,634 to $46,244 per year
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30-5:00 p.m
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10000123-Books Design and Production
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
General Job Description
Coordinate and provide support for book production and design functions, including archive management and online applications, digital art, invoices, and oversee production for selected reprint, on demand, and new JHUP titles.
- Serve as gatekeeper and cataloger for JHUP with outside archive (when implemented) and file conversion service
- Confirm receipt of first page proofs into the archive
- Acquire final page and component files for all new and changed reprint titles to post to the external archive
Ebook Conversions and Distribution:
- Work closely with Production Controllers and Books Marketing so that new and reprint book files are ready for ebook conversions and distributions, simultaneously with print title publications
Digital art evaluation and trafficking:
- Determine suitability of original digital line and photo art for printing, working together with Acquisitions Assistants, and monitor outside vendors assigned large art programs to evaluate, according to individual book schedules and cost guidelines
Invoice coding and tracking:
- Receive, electronically code, and route all new and reprint production and design invoices in a timely manner to the Production Manager, and log signed invoices sent on to Accounting
- Monitor payments with outside supplier accounting staffs
Assist Production Controllers and Art Director:
- Retrieve, complete, and route files, corrections, and proofs for new books, reprints, and on-demand titles, as needed
Factors Important in this Position
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Macintosh, Outlook, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat skills; will train to use Filemaker database
- This position has a primary focus in digital asset management and book publishing production processes
- The successful candidate must be able to understand, translate, adapt to, and simplify requests and responses in a timely and cost-efficient manner
Degree of independent action performed on the job:
- Demonstrated ability to quickly prioritize and meet multiple deadlines, to work with minimum supervision, and to combine appropriate input from production coordinators, designers, production editors, and marketing and acquisitions staff with information from outside vendors
Internal and external contacts required as part of the job:
- The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to work and communicate effectively with peers and senior staff at the Press as well as with outside vendor customer service and sales representatives
- This position requires teamwork and relationship building with people both inside and outside the Press
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: