Data and Reporting Analyst, Strategic Reporting and Analytics
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
This position will be moving to the new Stanford Redwood City campus in mid-2019.
Under minimal supervision, perform the most complex technical work associated with a wide variety of analytical data and produce routine, single data sources’ information requests.
About Medical Center Development:
Medical Center Development (“MCD”), a division within Stanford University’s Office of Development, provides fundraising support for the key institutional priorities of Stanford Medicine, comprised of Stanford University Medical School – a premier research-intensive medical school, and Stanford Health Care – nationally recognized for quality patient care and leading-edge technology. With its donor-centric approach to development, every staff member within the Office of Development plays a role in providing the university’s donors with the service and attention that ensures an exceptionally positive and fulfilling philanthropic experience.
Stanford MCD is the fundraising office for Stanford Medicine, which comprises Stanford’s School of Medicine and the broader Stanford Health Care system. Stanford Medicine successfully completely five-year $1.7B+ fundraising campaign in 2016.
The Research, Strategic Reporting, and Prospect Advancement team in Stanford MCD seeks candidates for an experienced data analyst within the team. The role supports the strategic reports and systems which provide high-level business intelligence on prospect pipelines and financial progress to MCD’s executive leadership and managers.
- Work under consultative or self-initiated direction to assess and produce relevant, standard, or custom information (reports, charts, graphs and tables) from structured data sources by querying data repositories and generating the associated information. Distribute and disseminate reports to applicable agencies, researchers, management and other internal end-users.
- Devise methods for identifying data patterns, trends in available information sources using a variety of qualitative and quantitative techniques. Determine and recommend additional data collection and reporting requirements.
- Design and customize reports based upon data in the databases including Postgrads, PostPAM (SQL), CARD (Salesforce) and OBI Financials.
- Create non-routine databases and their related information summary; develop algorithms and statistical model; and perform statistical analyses appropriate to complex data and reporting requirements.
- Serve as a resource for non-routine inquiries such as requests for statistics or surveys.
- Lead the implementation of data standards and common data elements for data collection.
- Collaborate with technical staff and partner teams to standardize and systematize routine reports, dashboards, and reporting metrics.
- May test prototype software and participate in approval and release process for new software.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience. Experience in a quantitative discipline such as economics, finance, statistics or engineering.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge and experience using and applying analytical software, database management system software, database reporting software, database user interface and query software, and data mining software.
- Expert ability to collect data using a variety of methods, such as data mining and hardcopy or electronic documentation study, to improve or expand databases.
- Ability to operate with a high level of discretion, as the data extracted is highly confidential and protected under HIPPA.
- Strong listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple activities in a deadline-oriented environment; highly organized, flexible and rigorous attention to detail.
- Ability to use logic to calculate data; efficiently construct a database or scrutinize the form of a question.
- Ability to work with data of varying levels of quality and validity.
- Demonstrated ability to produce data in a clear and understandable manner meeting user requirements.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple internal and external customers.
- Ability to take a leadership role on projects and with users/clients.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, sort, file paperwork or parts, grasp lightly, and use fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh 10 pounds or less.
- Occasionally write by hand, twist, bend, stoop and squat.
- Rarely stand, walk, reach or work above shoulders and use a telephone.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- May work extended hours during peak business cycles.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.