Systems Software Developer
The School of Engineering
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
Electrical Engineering, one of the largest departments in the School of Engineering, continues to define new directions and develop new technologies to help address critical societal challenges in biology and medicine, energy, and the environment. Numerous innovations by our faculty and students in electric power generation and transmission, wired and wireless communications, integrated electronics, digital computers, healthcare systems, cellular phones, and Internet-based information technology have fundamentally transformed all aspects of human life.
Electrical Engineering seeks a Systems Software Developer to join out IT organization to support faculty, staff and students in the research mission of the department.
***To be considered for this position, you must submit a resume and a cover letter***
Your responsibilities include:
- Analyzing needs, recommending, planning, and implementing solutions for the research groups within the department.
- Monitoring network operations and taking corrective actions to maintain system and network reliability and security.
- Designing, developing and/or integrating and administering academic department software systems (file, web, e-mail, database, applications, etc.)
- Designing, installing, upgrading and managing servers supporting research and academic services. The role is a mixture of development and operations.
- Troubleshooting and maintaining information systems, desktop systems, and servers from a wide variety of sources, whether custom or vendors.
- Maintaining security patches, applications, and operating systems, and implementing improvements made by vendors.
- Developing standards, processes, tools, techniques, and documentation to increase system reliability for faculty, students, and staff.
- Deploying, monitoring, and ensuring system performance of operating systems and applications at the end-user level.
- Researching, developing and recommending new technologies as needed.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- A bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Experience in all areas of networks, systems, and software development are essential to complete the job’s main responsibilities.
- Up to date knowledge in computer and network equipment and software languages and methodologies. Proficiency in at least one scripting or development language.
- Substantial experience with Windows, MacOS X and Linux, with a focus on UNIX-based systems. Experience with all levels of virtualization technologies is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and diplomacy are required to interact effectively with a broad spectrum of people including faculty, students, staff, alumni, visitors, and industry consultants.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!