As a member of the Child Study Center Business Office, will report directly to the Operations Manager. The Accountant will be responsible for the management of the post-award processes with a focus on financial planning, controls, budgeting, forecasting and reporting. Will provide financial stewardship of a portfolio of grants and contracts and present financial information and recommendations through data analysis and reporting while developing and maintaining budgets. Responsible for providing appropriate guidance on compliance matters during management of portfolio and collaborates with account holders to maintain such compliance. Responsible for the oversight and management of complex financial budgeting, spending, reporting, projections and planning within Yale and funding agency guidelines/policies. Communicates all deadlines and ensure all deadlines are met. Implements controls to proactively assure sufficient unimpeded funding for continuance of research projects. Serves as a Department effort report pre-reviewer and manages entire reporting process.
- Monitor and certify to policy adherence for all financial activity within the portfolio by incorporating the policies of Yale and various funding agencies into the financial planning and review of expenditure activities. Advise faculty and clients of the appropriate financial policies.
- Review sponsor documents (i.e., applications, award notices, and terms and conditions). Handle all activities for assigned portfolios in managing sponsored awards, ensure the proper filing of sponsor documents, including submissions, modifications, extensions and all post award required reports (financial, technical, etc.).
- Research issues, evaluate the entire situation, identifies policies, procedures, and guidance material relevant to resolution and proposes a recommendation or solution. Reviews and approves all expenditures with both sponsor and Yale policies and regulations in mind and ensures proper documentation and support exists to substantiate charges made to sponsored awards.
- Plan, organize and prioritize activities across multiple awards and investigator portfolios on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Identify trends and variances, research inconsistencies and advise faculty or clients on solutions.
- Responsible for the development, preparation and maintenance of documentation to support grant and contract expenditures posted to the University’s General Ledger.
- Develop forecast and trend analysis reports from all funding sources that advise faculty of their balances, as well as to identify variances within the portfolio.
- Responsible for all financial analysis and budget activities, which includes multiple budgets with various funding levels, staggered budget periods and end dates, differential overhead rates, differing policies regarding allowable costs, and management of the acquisition and loss of sponsor funding.
- Based on the funding and activities of the faculty member or client, identify and propose alternatives for allocating effort, spending pattern adjustments, and allocation methodologies.
- Collaborate with other Business Offices, Central Offices, external institutions and sponsoring agencies to ensure the proper management of sponsor funds.
- Develop budgets for grant submissions ensuring compliance with University and Sponsor policies, procedures and guidelines. Assist in the development of the annual department budget as it relates to the portfolio.
- Maintain the fiscal integrity of the portfolio and department.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Economics or Finance. Two years of related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated application of financial, accounting and economic concepts.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Ability to handle complex portfolios and conflicting deadlines, without sacrificing accuracy and customer service. Ability to work well as part of a team, supporting team members during deadlines.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Strong oral and written communication skills required for interactions with Faculty, Staff, University Administrators, the Office of Sponsored Projects, and Partnering Institutions.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Well-organized and have an orientation to detail. Proactive with strong sense of urgency to deadlines.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Commitment to quality and continuous improvement.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.