Center for Talented Youth Online Programs Instructor in AP Psychology
Starting Salary Range: $21.00 - $24.15 per hour
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: hours and schedule will vary
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: 10000114-DE Writing Humanities Social Science
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth is a nonprofit dedicated to identifying and developing the talents of academically advanced K-12 students around the world. We provide today’s brightest students with fun, challenging courses; a community of engaged learners; and a strong foundation for future success in college and their careers. Want to join our team? We’re looking for mission-driven problem-solvers who can thrive in CTY’s diverse, collaborative, fast-paced, and results-driven work environment. We value innovation, creativity, integrity, and a shared commitment to the bright young people we serve.
General Nature or Purpose of the Job:
The instructor supports academically talented students enrolled in the Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (CTY) online AP Psychology course.
NOTE: This position is not benefits eligible.
NOTE: Multiple positions are available.
- Develop and teach lessons within curriculum defined by AP College Board and CTY.
- Monitor student progress and assist students in accomplishing established learning objectives.
- Interact independently with students using distance education technologies, primarily Moodle, Adobe Connect, phone and e-mail.
- Provide timely feedback and encouragement to students and their parents on coursework and progress.
- Manage student behavior and discipline in the online classroom.
- Communicate with students, parents, IT, program administrators and supervisor to resolve any course related issues.
- Suggest improvements to course design and contents.
- Submit hours worked via established system according to schedule provided by CTY.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Internal and External Contacts Required as Part of the Job:
- Collaborative relationships with the Program Manager, supervisors, administrators, and staff.
- Frequent contact with students and parents via telephone, email, and web-based virtual meeting room software.
Required Special Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience teaching Advanced Placement courses and preparing high school students for the AP exam.
- Knowledge of AP Psychology course and exam content.
- Ability to prepare lesson plans and audio-visual aids per the required curriculum.
- Experience teaching students from diverse backgrounds.
- Extensive communication and organizational proficiencies along with excellent interpersonal skills.
Minimum Required Education and Related Work Experience:
- Two years of teaching or tutorial experience in Psychology or related area.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university in Psychology or related field; Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Additional (graduate) education may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU Equivalency Formula. JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Computer or Other Special Needs for the Position:
- Must have a computer with broadband Internet access.
- Familiarity with Online education technologies a plus, such as Moodle and Adobe Connect.
Machines and/or Equipment Used on the Job, Include % of Time Used:
Physical Requirements for the Job:
- Ability to access and transmit information using a computer; dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery.
- The incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone and email with internal and external audiences and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings.
- Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with supervisor.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the US, and be based in the US or another jurisdiction where JHU has an authorized business entity.
- All employees participating in or serving children in University programs must participate in mandatory Child Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
- CTY Online Programs offers students in grades preK-12 challenging academic coursework throughout the year. For more information, please visit: cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: