Clerk, HIM-Eye Center, Main
Eye Center – Main
Independently performs specialized or advanced health information activities necessary to organize, maintain, and use electronic patient health records. Activities required include research, analysis and compilation of findings into summarized reports that will be shared within and external to the Health Information Management Department.
Positions at this level have high customer service, strong analytic and problem solving skills, require interpretation and explanation of policy and external requirements related to, privacy, release of information, positive patient identity, and other department and organization-wide functions. Specific job responsibilities are based on the service unit within Health Information Management assigned. Expert computer skills to navigate and query multiple electronic record systems.
- Reviews request for medical records to identify dates of service, provider and specific clinical documents requested. Works extensively in the electronic health record and de-centralized electronic databases to locate specific clinical documents for the purpose of fulfilling a request.
- Reviews patient authorizations to validate HIPAA required elements and validate legal authority of requestor. Reviews NC and Out of State Subpoenas and Court Orders to determine if valid and returns to requestor if deemed invalid.
- Coordinates visits from Health Plan Reviewers and Research Monitors through provision of electronic medical records, assignment of passwords and deactivates passwords at conclusion of visit. Assists reviewer in locating specific documents as needed. Reviews requests for patient amendments, locates disputed documents in the electronic health record and notifies provider of patient request for amendment. Tracks amendment request to ensure patient is notified of outcome within HIPAA required time frame.
- Obtains provider approval to release psychiatric encounter records when requested by patient and seeks provider approval to release records for minor patients ages 12-17 to parent to comply with additional privacy protections
- Track, monitor and validate patient overlays that occur during patient registration and scheduling activities. Analyze and trend data for feedback to appropriate department. Notifies compliance and affected departments of incorrect documentation location.
- Researches through comparison of demographic and clinical information and resolves patient identification problems referred by external departments or patients for fraudulent identity use, such as identity theft. Performs concurrent and retrospective contact moves.
- Analyzes the content of health record document, coordinates with responsible providers, clinicians, and ancillary department participating in the patient’s care for record correction requirements to resolution.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Good organizational skills, excellent investigative/analytic skills with detail orientation, and strong follow-through capabilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in order to effectively problem solve, develop working relationships and assist system users.
- Must be able to meet deadlines, work independently, set priorities and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work calmly and efficiently in high-pressure situations.
- Intermediate knowledge of human anatomy and physiology and medical terminology highly preferred.
- Intermediate to Expert skills using Windows-based software, familiarity with information technology hardware and software in a local and wide area network environment.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS/ PREFERENCES
Associates degree in Health Information Management required; RHIT or eligible preferred.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS/ PREFERENCES
Two years' experience in health care preferred.
LICENSURE/ CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to work under time pressures in a busy clinic/office environment.
- Must be present on site for 8 hour shifts during standard business hours.
- Must participate in group activities requiring interpersonal skills & cooperation.
- Must work as late person when scheduled or according to business needs
- Must be able to react quickly and immediately respond to emergencies.
- Must be able to handle multiple assignments, conflicting demands & priorities.
- Must maintain attention to detail over extended period of time.
- Must be continually aware of variations in changing situations.
- Must be able to move throughout office environment throughout day.
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs.
- Must be able to push/pull 35 lbs.
- Must be able to carry 20 lbs.
- Must be able to reach for objects by extending arms.
Requisition Number 401495653
Duke Entity PRIVATE DIAGNOSTIC CLINICS
Job Code 4021 CLERK, HIM
Job Family Level B1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Graduation from high school or GED, or an equivalent combination of related education and experience
Previous work history in a medical records department, medical practice, or translatable job experience (preferred)
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Auto req ID