Associate Professor in Political Science
A full-time permanent position as Associate Professor in Political Science is vacant at the Department of Sociology and Political Science. The professional field of the position is comparative politics, but applicants who also have skills in political theory are particularly encouraged to apply. Further it is important that the research and teaching background of the successful applicant is related to strategic research areas in political science at the Department.
The Department of Sociology and Political Science (ISS) is committed to carrying out teaching, research, and dissemination of knowledge in sociology, political science, sport science, and media studies. The Department has approximately 80 employees comprising 73 full-time equivalents involved in 11 study programs. ISS is characterised by a strong focus on the social sciences with the emphasis on sociology and political science, contributing to multidisciplinary study programs and research at NTNU. Sociology and political science also impact the Department`s sport science and media studies profile.
With regard to both teaching and research, we are committed to identifying and meeting the major challenges in society. It is an important objective of the Department to develop and disseminate knowledge required to solve problems and challenges facing Norway and the world community. Our study programs aim to provide our graduates with the skills required in the labour market, and enable them to contribute to the development of society. Research at ISS shall be of a high scientific standard, and contribute to the public debate and scientific development. Further information is available on www.ntnu.edu/iss.
Responsibilities of the position of Associate Professor
- Specific responsibility for teaching and research in political science with a focus on comparative politics and possible additional responsibility in the field of political theory.
- Participation in teaching activities in accordance with the current study program.
- Contributing to further development of research in political science and associated courses and teaching practice in political science.
- Contributing to continuing and further education.
- Carry out research within his/her professional field and special research interests.
- Participate in one or more of the Departments’ relevant research groups.
- Administration of examinations.
- Responsibility for administrative tasks.
- Shared responsibility with other academic staff in the Department for academic matters.
- Supervision of bachelor, master and doctoral candidates within his/her discipline.
- Responsibility for dissemination of research findings.
- Representing his/her own field of study and the Department’s discipline in local, national and international multidisciplinary research collaboration.
- Contributing to development of the Department’s scientific policy.
- Lecturing in the academic field of comparative politics at all levels.
The Associate Professor is obliged to conform with the regulations concerning changes and developments within the discipline and/or the organizational changes concerning activities at NTNU
Documented comprehensive professional qualifications at the doctoral level in political science or equivalent relevant discipline. The Department welcomes applications from young aspiring applicants. Consequently, we emphasize the importance of the applicant’s future research potential, and whether this is in accordance with the strategic goals of the Department. Importance is attached to originality and quality in scientific publication during the last five years (excluding parental leave), particularly Norwegian/Scandinavian and international publications in the discipline. The importance of creative work in political science and cooperation with other disciplines is emphasised. We will also consider the interest and potential for involvement in national and international research collaboration. It will be considered an advantage if the applicant also is able to teach political/political science theory.
Applicants must document progression in research and publication, and present future research and publication plans. The applicant should also show ability and willingness to contribute to the long-term development of research at the Department. Furthermore, we emphasize the applicant’s ability to tie his/her research plans and interests to the research areas where the Department has ongoing activity and development potential.
We emphasize the importance of the applicant’s documented experience in teaching and supervision.
Particular importance is attached to personal skills such as independence, solution-orientated, cooperative, creative approach, and motivation in contributing to a good working and social environment.
Pedagogical qualifications are also emphasised as well as the motivation to participate in the on-going development of the discipline’s scientific and analytical basis.
Following the deadline for applications, a list of applicants will be compiled where those who are best qualified will be further assessed by an external scientific/professional committee. The top applicants from this assessment will be invited to undertake a pedagogical test including a trial lecture and an interview.
Salary and conditions of employment
The overall requirements encompass research, teaching and administration. Time devoted to the respective areas will vary, but approximately equal time should be devoted to research and teaching.
Practical university pedagogic competence is required. Any individual employed without university pedagogic competence and without documented equivalent qualifications, will be required to attend and complete an approved course in university pedagogics within two years. NTNU offers such courses.
Employees in academic positions who are not fluent in a Scandinavian language must acquire knowledge of Norwegian or another Scandinavian language within three years, and at an equivalent standard to level three in the ‘Norwegian for Foreigners’ courses provided at the Department of Language and Communication Studies. NTNU offers such courses.
Further information is available on: https://www.ntnu.edu/vacancies/pedagogical-qualifications
Associate Professor, code 1011, carries a basic salary of NOK 515,200 per annum. The appointed persons will normally have an annual remuneration of NOK 515,200 to NOK 731,400, dependent upon qualifications. Two percent of gross salary is deducted as the contribution to the State Pension Scheme.
The appointment is made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The employee is expected to accept any possible changes in work tasks.
It is a prerequisite that the appointed person takes up residence in order to be present and available for the institution as required.
- A vibrant research community in constant development
- A sound working environment
- Advantageous membership in training centres, and access to dynamic company sports
- Attractive schemes for home loans, insurance and pension in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
Applicants must submit three copies of the following documents within the closing date for applications:
- 5 academic works that the applicant regards as his/her most significant political science contributions.
- A short description of these works and their contribution to a specific field of research in the announced position.
- A comprehensive overview of all publications.
Joint works will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify the contribution by individuals in a joint work, applicants should enclose a short descriptive summary of his/her contribution.
A good working environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, disabilities or cultural background.
According to the Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be open to public scrutiny.
Further information concerning this post may be obtained from Head of Department Toril Aalberg, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For information about the application process, please contact Brith-Eli Åsland at HR section, email: email@example.com.
An application including attachments should be sent electronically via: www.jobbnorge.no.
Relevant attestation and certificates must be attached electronically. Authorized copies of certificates and attestation are required from applicants called for interview. Attachments that cannot be sent electronically may be sent to NTNU, Faculty of Social Sciences and Teaching Education, NO-7491 Trondheim, Norway.
Please mark the application SU-243.
Application deadline: 31.10.2018
About this job
- Deadline Wednesday, October 31, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Dragvoll
- Jobbnorge ID 157288
- Internal ID 2018/26806
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Permanent
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!