Grants Manager Assistant
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences is seeking a motivated individual for the position of Grants Manager Assistant who will support the Global Environmental Sciences Grants Manager/Building Coordinator. The successful candidate will provide administrative, financial, and research administrative duties for the faculty, postdoctoral scholars, staff, and students.
This is a two-year term position with the possibility for extension.
- Assist with proposal preparation and submission ensuring proper formatting and content according to sponsor guidelines. Prepare budget and non-scientific documents, proofread, enter, and upload required information and documents, assist with approval routing and document distribution.
- Assist with the financial and administrative management of sponsored research awards including preparation of monthly funds management and personnel reports, projections, allowability of expenditures, prevention of overspending; timely submission of required reports; monitoring and clearance of purchase orders and invoices; management of subawards and consulting contracts; monitor fabrication and cost sharing accounts; maintain research award summaries; track pending proposals; assist with award close-outs.
- Apply knowledge of Institute policies, Division practices, and sponsor terms and conditions to all assignments.
- Assist faculty with administrative and clerical duties such as editing and proofreading correspondence; organizing meetings, workshops, and conferences; processing paperwork for visitors, guests, visiting student researchers, postdocs; copying for classes.
- Purchase parts, supplies, and equipment via PCard and TechMart; process subawards and consulting agreements; monitor receipt of deliveries; process reimbursements and payment requests; and monthly reconciliation of PCard receipts.
- Assist with travel arrangements and submission of travel reports in a timely manner.
- Process time sensitive department web internal charges.
- Assist with building maintenance including submission of facilities work order requisitions.
- Process and maintain confidential information; prioritize tasks and projects; track deadlines and deliverables.
- Take responsibility and ownership for work performance with emphasis on teamwork.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s Degree or higher in business, accounting, or related field.
- 3 or more years of administrative experience.
- Good math and accounting skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and good command of English grammar.
- Excellent organizational skills, detail oriented, able to manage multiple tasks and assignments.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Able to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Knowledgeable in accounting as it pertains to budgets, projections, and spreadsheets.
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision and be a team player.
- Able to exercise good judgement and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to solve routine problems; ask questions; know when to refer complex issues to manager.
- Excellent attendance.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting.
- 5 or more years of administrative experience.
- Excellent math and accounting skills.
- Previous Caltech experience or experience working in an academic setting.
- Knowledge of Oracle software.
- Knowledge of Adobe Acrobat.
- Cover Letter