Performance Improvement Specialist
Contribute to the achievement of the DUHS mission through the development and leadership of performance improvement activities in the operational and/or clinical arenas. Assure continual compliance with regulations and accreditation standards through monitoring activities and the design and implementation of strategies to enhance compliance.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Coordinate PI training for organization (RIE, Green Belt, Black Belt, Project Management, Lean TBD) – class application, attendee list, budget, trainer logistics, conference room and food logistics
- Manage centralized project status list of key projects across Duke University Health System (Rapid Improvement Event, Green Belt/Black Belt, Value Based Performance Improvement, Quality, and Care Redesign)
- Develop and deploy standardized project management templates
- Mentor, coach, and train employees on performance improvement and project management methodology
- Maintain repository of completed projects to promote best-practice sharing
- Support and coordinate organizational-wide performance excellence priorities (i.e. Baldrige, Quest for Quality, etc)
Help lead and project manage key priority projects using Six Sigma and Lean principles:
- Use spreadsheets, visualization and statistical software (i.e., Excel, Tableau, and JMP) to effectively analyze data from different sources. Guide teams’ focus to areas with the greatest need for improvement in the domains of clinical quality, patient experience and the cost of care
- In partnership with physician, nursing, and operational leads, use expert knowledge of performance improvement techniques and methodologies to coach teams through the design and implementation of strategies to improve performance and execute interventions
- Oversee daily operations and project management of assigned teams: schedule meetings, plan agendas, develop meeting materials, facilitate and lead meeting discussion, summarize decisions and next steps, assist in communication and deliverable development, develop implementation plans
- Establish key performance indicators, performance targets, and dashboards for performance monitoring
- Produce reports, ad-hoc analyses, and presentations related to improvement work
Perform other related duties, administrative or otherwise, incidental to the work described herein
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong project management and facilitation skills – competitive candidates have experience leading large teams (20+ people) of diverse clinical and non-clinical backgrounds
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
- Expert knowledge of process improvement techniques as would be gained from certification and use of tools taught in Six Sigma Black Belt, Green Belt, and Lean training or from certification from the National Association for Healthcare Quality (Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ))
- Expert knowledge of data analytics and visualization so that all team members can quickly understand and synthesize the information
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously through effective priority setting, efficient use of time, and high degree of organization with attention to detail and accuracy
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office - Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook, Sharepoint, Access; Visio; Adobe; Tableau; JMP
- Project management skills: create project plans and manage multiple parallel deadlines, ability to identify roadblocks proactively and formulate mitigation plans
- Change management skills: stakeholder analysis, communication plans, organizational readiness assessments
- Master's degree strongly preferred.
- Experience in healthcare in an academic medical center.
- 4+ years of process improvement and project management experience.
- Six Sigma Black Belt certification.
Requisition Number 401472405
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Code 5102 STRATEGIC SERVICES ASSOCIATE
Job Family Level G2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Bachelors degree in a business or health-related field is required.
Minimum of 5 years work experience, including 3 years of experience withsignificant responsibility for performance/ process improvement.Experience leading work teams required.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Auto req ID