UX Designer and Content Manager, Stanford Law School
Stanford Law School seeks to hire the best talent and to promote a safe and secure environment for all members of the university community and its property. To that end, new staff hires must successfully pass a background check prior to starting work at Stanford University.
Stanford Law School (SLS) is looking for a UX Designer and Content Manager to join the Web Team in the Office of Communications and Public Relations, reporting to the Director of Online Strategy and Identity.
Who we are
The SLS Web Team designs, develops, and maintains the law school website, and also creates multimedia and interactive Web projects. We are a small team that supports a very large website with hundreds of content editors. We launched our completely redesigned website a few years ago. But as you know, new websites are never done! There’s always room for improvement: UX enhancements, feature requests, updates, content strategy, and making sure our internal clients are happy.
Someone who likes a creative challenge and thinks anything is possible – it’s just a matter of figuring things out. You are passionate about UX and have strong knowledge of design thinking. You enjoy creating beautiful designs and responsive user interfaces that are standards-compliant and optimized for usability, accessibility and SEO. You have strong project management, problem-solving, and analytical thinking skills. You’re flexible and are familiar with modern design tools and techniques. You enjoy working directly with clients.
You’ll be responsible for managing the lifecycle and design of content on the Stanford Law School website, as well as providing graphic design support for print projects. You’ll leverage our existing tools and templates as well as design your own unique features for our robust, enterprise-level website.
Technically, you’re able to quickly synthesize complex design and functionality requirements. You like to stay up-to-date with new online tools and trends.
Under general supervision, design and build leading-edge, high quality, attractive, and highly usable web properties that work well on all web devices and meet current business needs. Serve as subject matter expert on design solutions and usability best practices.
- Create superior user experiences through the design of elegant interfaces.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to synthesize requirements into sketches, wireframes, and design mockups.
- Conduct formal and informal usability testing, and respond to results.
- Articulate the pros and cons of designs, and support recommendations with clear, detailed evidence and rationale.
- Create design prototypes, and collaborate with developer on components requiring more advanced scripting and programming.
- Collaborate with IT Services, University Communications, and Online Accessibility Program staff to ensure group's compliance with policies and standards around identity graphics, web content, and online accessibility.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on modern design concepts and solutions and usability best practices for all web devices.
- Maintain a consistent look and feel for all SLS web properties and print design assets.
- Create or provide graphic design support for print projects as needed (e.g., design holiday greeting card, update existing admissions brochures, create new posters, ads, brochures, icons, and various other printed pieces).
- Triage, prioritize and execute requests sent to the Web Team.
- Meet with clients to understand their requirements for larger projects.
- Work with the Web Team to plan logistics for new website features.
- Supervise the work of student interns and outside consultants, such as freelance designers.
- Proactively plan, update and track lifecycle and ownership of content to maintain the integrity of website content.
- Train faculty, staff, and students on an as-needed basis to manage their web content using WordPress.
- Participate in weekly open office hours with the Web Team and be available for light tech support questions from faculty and staff.
- Produce written tutorials for the website as necessary.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience. Preferably at least five years of relevant experience in the field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong design and usability skills
- Strong skills in information architecture and content management
- Advanced knowledge of modern design concepts and solutions and usability best practices for all web devices
- Knowledge of user profiling, usability testing, and quality assurance practices
- Strong graphic design skills for web and print
- Proficiency with browser and device differences and idiosyncrasies
- Prototyping in HTML and CSS
- Knowledge of web analytics tools and related analyses and reporting
- Experience working with a content management system, preferably WordPress
- Demonstrated proficiency in design software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, XD or Sketch
- Familiarity with traditional graphic design mediums (ads, brochures, posters, invitations, etc.)
- Excellent project management fundamentals, including project planning, scheduling, and communication
- This is an in-house, full time position. Working on-site at Stanford Law School is required.
- Stanford is an amazing place to work — join a community where excellence is at the core of our culture, contributions are valued and a range of benefits and rewards are available to support you and your family throughout your Stanford career. More information: https://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu/benefits-rewards.
- May work extended hours and weekends.
About Stanford Law School
Stanford Law School (SLS) is one of the nation’s leading institutions for legal scholarship and education. It has established a model for legal education that provides rigorous interdisciplinary training, hands-on experience, global perspective and focus on public service, spearheading a movement for change. SLS alumni are among the most influential decision makers in law, politics, business, and high technology. Faculty members argue before the Supreme Court, testify before Congress, produce outstanding legal scholarship and empirical analysis, and contribute regularly to the nation’s press as legal and policy experts.