Senior Assistive Technology and Universal Design for Learning Specialist
Department Name Inclusion and Special Needs Support Center
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Student Affairs contributes to the educational mission of Qatar University by providing innovative opportunities, quality programs, andefficient services that enrich the students’ learning experience and their personal development.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The Assistive Technology and UDL Specialist provides instruction, technical assistance, training and resource materials to students registered with the ISNSC, as well as, faculty and staff of Qatar University with an emphasis on assistive technologies for students with disabilities and universal design for learning in the class.
- Evaluates and interprets disability documentation to establish service eligibility.
- Meet with students to conduct intake interviews and develop accommodations in compliance with the University policies
- Formulates accommodation plans that delineate accommodations, which are in conformance with the ISNSC guidelines.
- Presents general information about ISNSC services to prospective and/or currently enrolled students
- Develops and delivers face-to-face and online training for students in the use of assistive technology.
- Consults with a student's health provider on their assistive technology needs and conduct assistive technology assessments for students referred
- Oversees and maintains the center’s technology equipment and keep track of products and loaned equipment.
- Researches and develops best practices and policy relevant to assistive technology.
- Provide support to other departments, as necessary, in matters relating to UDL and assistive technology.
- Provides technical assistance, consultation and training on the use of assistive technologies; troubleshoot accessibility issues for students, staff and faculty
- Evaluates and review innovative methods and practices of potential benefit to students with disabilities as well as emerging assistive technologies
- Works collaboratively with students, faculty, employees and other stakeholders across QU to develop and implement appropriate measures to further improve the accessibility of the learning environments through the application of universal design principles
- Provides formal/informal training/presentations throughout the University, across QU and to a variety of external communities to increase awareness and understanding of universal design concepts
- Maintains and updates the center’s website with latest disability E- resources and UDL articles
- develops and maintains the center’s website and social media based on the UDL standards
- Participate in research on disability studies, UDL, and assistive technology
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Master's degree and experience in related field(s) or Bachelor's degree in a related field with an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- 2+ years working in the field of web accessibility.
- Proven experience as supervisor or relevant role
- Knowledge of effective uses of a variety of assistive computer technologies such as screen readers for blind, Braille translation software, large print display systems, speech recognition systems as well as writing and productivity tools for students
- Knowledge of assessment methods and ability to develop education and training programs
- Familiarity with academic issues relevant to higher education student populations
- Familiarity with the international standards and guidelines which apply to equal access to technology and the provision of academic materials in alternate format for students and staff with disabilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with students with disabilities in a higher education setting is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles, concepts, methods and techniques of Universal Design and its application across the higher education environment; and the ability to provide formal/informal training/presentations throughout the University to increase awareness and understanding of universal design concepts and other disability-related topics
- Bilingual preferred.(English and Arabic)
- Priority for Qataris
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category Non-Academic
End Date of Advertisment 13-Nov-2018
More searches like this
- Permanent Education Other Professional Services jobs in Qatar
- Permanent Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health Other Professional Services jobs in Qatar
- Permanent Psychology Other Professional Services jobs in Qatar
- Permanent Social Sciences Other Professional Services jobs in Qatar
- Permanent Other Health & Social Care Other Professional Services jobs in Qatar