Starting Salary Range: Competitive; Commensurate with experience
Employee Group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday; Essential
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: JH @ Towson - Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC)
Department Name: Medicine, Division of Cardiology
Personnel Area: School of Medicine
The Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology seeks a Nurse Practitioner to work under the direction, supervision and responsibility of a physician, and in accordance with established policies, a licensed, credentialed nurse practitioner provides diagnosis, treatment, consultation, and follow-up to patients in the JHU Cardiology Clinic at Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC).
The Nurse Practitioner will conduct independent clinic sessions, interviewing patients, taking medical histories, performing physical examinations, ordering laboratory tests, coordinating the continuum of care, providing education to patients and significant others, oversight of clinical testing, and prescribing appropriate treatments.
The Nurse Practitioner practices within the guidelines of the unit department and institution and in accordance with the NP Physician Written Agreement required and approved by the State of Maryland.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- The goal of the Nurse Practitioner in the Division of Cardiology is to streamline the provision of highly specialized professional service to patients, thereby improving patient care and increasing the efficiency of the physician group.
- Will be involved in both the inpatient and outpatient clinic work with Johns Hopkins Cardiology at GBMC
- Perform comprehensive history and physical examinations, establish accurate diagnoses, and order pertinent laboratory tests.
- Implement appropriate management plans and formulate concise relevant patient presentations for attending review.
- Will write orders, prescribe medications, perform and monitor diagnostic and therapeutic procedures within their scope of practice.
- Initiate basic and advanced cardiac life support in response to emergencies.
- Participate in patient education initiatives and coordinate short and long-term patient care through consultation with multidisciplinary teams.
- Works collaboratively within a multidisciplinary health team and is responsible for providing comprehensive and age appropriate care to both well and ill patients.
- Educates patients and/or intervenes in acute or chronic illness.
- Provides comprehensive, age appropriate and episodic care to patients as a member of a multidisciplinary health care team.
- Order appropriate laboratory and imaging studies. Perform tests and procedures as indicated.
- Establish a plan of care related to the patient’s identified problems including medications, diet, therapeutic procedures, etc.
- Consults with other health team members regarding proposed treatment guidelines as necessary.
- Prescribes and regulates medications and formulas and performs other related procedures per NP Physician written agreement.
- Establishes priorities in patient’s care and management.
- Records patient visit/interaction in concise, clear and timely manner in the electronic patient records. Evaluates effectiveness of plan and need for referral and/or follow-up.
- Evaluates effectiveness of previously implemented medical treatment. Evaluates need for follow-up. Arranges referrals when indicated.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for organizing time and workload to meet patient, staff, and departmental needs.
- Adheres to departmental, organizational, State, and Federal policy, rules, and regulations. Communicates with health care team members to assure patient and organizational needs are met.
- Participate in fellow/resident teaching.
Master's degree in nursing; Registered Nurse license and Certified as a Nurse Practitioner. Must be licensed as NP in State of Maryland or other state where practicing. Current CPR certification required. Must maintain current licensure and certification during duration of employment. Completion of the JHH credentialing process is required prior to start date.
Sitting, standing and walking for extended period. Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction. Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s). Ability to move standard equipment through a hospital or clinical environment.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
JH at Towson