CO Patient Service Coordinator
Role/Level/Range: ATO 40/E/02/OD
Starting Salary Range: $31,421.00 - $34,000.00
Employee Group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Bayview Medical Ceneter
Department Name: Medicine, Chemical Dependency
Personnel Area: School of Medicine
The Department of Medicine, Division of Chemical Dependency is seeking a Patient Service Coordinator. The Patient Service Coordinator/PSC (front desk) is responsible for checking in patients for their appointments, checking out patients and assigning a follow up appointment if necessary, verifying insurance, collecting payments, processing referrals and answering phones. The PSC is also responsible for assisting providers as needed.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide friendly, courteous and confidential assistance to patients and their family members/representatives.
- Follow HIPPA guidelines at all times.
- Use EPIC system for patient registration, scheduling, check-in, check-out, processing referrals and to communicate patient messages to providers. Input insurance information accurately.
- Schedule pre-op appointments and make sure the orders from referring providers have been received.
- Fill vacant appointment slots due to cancellations.
- Verify Medical Assistance eligibility via the Electronic Verification System (EVS).
- Verify all other insurances using RTE in EPIC.
- Check eligibility for grant patients prior to arriving patient for visit.
- Verify demographic information (address and phone number), and insurance information at each visit and make necessary corrections.
- Scan picture ID and insurance card into EPIC at first visit and verify at all subsequent visits.
- Call insurance company if information on insurance card is incorrect.
- Process Admitting Slip for those patients being sent for inpatient admission to hospital.
- Collect co-payments/full payments and issue receipts to patients.
- Prepare deposit slip and money bag daily when lead person is out.
- Prepare and mail missed appointment letters (at provider’s request) and appointment cancellation letters when unable to inform patient via phone.
- Answer phones on a rotating basis and provide appropriate information to callers. Take messages for providers.
- Call transportation services for patients.
- Process outside agency forms completed by providers.
- At the end of the day make sure all patients who did not present for a scheduled visit are either cancelled or no-showed.
- Scan paperwork into EPIC daily.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) year work experience required in a similar service-oriented industry.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must have the ability to multitask while providing customer service to patients or others, assisting providers, and entering information into the scheduling system.
- The PSC may also be required to assist with answering the phones.
- Ability to operate PC, laser printer, fax, copier,
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: