Research Specialist II
Starting Salary Range: $19.77-$27.18 commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Full Time; 37.5 Hours/week
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 05-MD:School of Public Health
Department name: 10001101-Epidemiology
Personnel area: School of Public Health
Coordinate the day to operations of the specimen management and Virology laboratories. Work with a repository of frozen specimens for epidemiological studies. Responsible for key aspects of clinical research projects and quality assurance for state and federal regulatory compliance requirements for a certified clinical lab.
- Speciemen collection and phlebotomy are desired, must be willing to be trained
- Specimen processing following multiple study procedures, must pay attention to details
- Specimen repository duties such as sample retrieval from mechanical freezers or liquid nitrogen units, being able to work in extreme temperature units without jeopardizing the inegrity of the specimens
- Shipping biological speciemnes following IATA guidelines
- Assist in billing management using various databases
- Assist with supply ordering and inventory
- Assist with equipment service contracts and maintenance
- Assist in quality control operations
- Must achieve and maintain certification in study procedures per study protocol as a condition of employment
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as directed as well as montly conference calls with various study sites
- Understanding and adherence to compliance and confidentiality policies and procedures
- Understanding and adhering to CLIA guidelines in regards to immunological testing and reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry or related field.+ 2 years laboratory experience performing relevant techniques. Master's degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Knowledge of epidemiology, immunology, virology and serology required.
- Extensive experience in DNA and RNA required.
JHU Equivalency Formula:
30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Master's degree in a biomedical science is preferred.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: