Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
VinUniversity is a newly developed, private, non-profit university in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was established by Vingroup with a mission to be the first world-class, internationally accredited and ranked university in Vietnam. VinUniversity has two overarching goals: to excel in teaching; and to produce graduates and research that contribute to developing the key economic sectors of Vietnam.
The formation of the VinUniversity Project has resulted from the collaboration of Vingroup with Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. Cornell provides academic consulting on Management, Engineering and Technology; and Penn focuses on the Health Sciences disciplines. Both Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania are distinguished Ivy League institutions based in the United States of America. Cornell is involved in every aspect of the development of VinUniversity from infrastructure and campus planning to curriculum development and faculty hiring. Cornell’s SC Johnson College of Business is providing extensive academic advisement in a variety of areas, drawing from a wealth of faculty expertise at multiple colleges and units at Cornell University. Penn’s medical and nursing schools are functioning in a similar fashion to guide the formation of health science education at VinUniversity and to interface with Vinmec, Vingroup’s outstanding health system which currently encompasses 7 hospitals throughout Vietnam. VinUniversity aims to meet the QS 5-star rating standards and will include the following schools within the University: a School of Business, Hospitality, and Real Estate; a School of Engineering and Technology; a School of General Education; a forthcoming School of Health Services and Public Health; a School of Nursing; and a School of Medicine. The University will be an English Medium Instruction (EMI) institution and plans to open for the inaugural class of students in Fall 2020.
Vingroup was established in Ukraine in 1993. Upon its relocation to Vietnam, the venture officially became Vingroup Joint Stock Company in 2012. Vingroup’s mission is “to create a better life for the Vietnamese people.” In 2016, Vingroup was recognized among the “Top 50 Most Valuable Brands in Vietnam” (by Brand Finance magazine). Today, Vingroup is one of the leading private enterprises in Vietnam, operating in eight core business areas including real estate, retail, hospitality, education, agriculture, healthcare, heavy industry (starting with automobile manufacturing) and smart technology. In 2016, education and healthcare became not-for-profit value-based systems.
Pham Nhat Vuong is the founder and chairman of Vingroup, which has $3.97 billion USD in net revenue (2017) and a largest market capitalization value of $13.6 billion USD in Vietnam (2018).
Chairman Vuong is a visionary and true patriot of Vietnam and firmly believes that education is the single biggest catalyst that can transform the destiny of an individual, society, and nation. His aspiration is to create a breakthrough in the Vietnamese education sector and to groom the next generation of leaders in the 21 century and beyond for Vietnam.
VinUniversity seeks an entrepreneurial-minded academic leader with rigorous academic credentials as a scholar, a record of excellence in teaching and research, and strong administrative leadership gained in a large, complex, and diverse higher education environment to be its Chief Academic Officer. Respect for shared governance and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, yet decisively, will be important attributes. The ideal candidate should have professional experience across multiple academic disciplines that are part of VinUniversity (e.g., business management; hospitality; engineering; health education, research and care; and related disciplines). Additionally, the successful candidate will have likely held a senior administrative appointment (e.g., Provost, Vice President or Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, or Dean) in a complex university or university-system setting with experience working with governing boards, administration, and faculty. A sophisticated understanding of financial and operational drivers of performance in a research university is critical.
Reporting to the President, the Provost is the Chief Academic Officer of the University and serves as Chief Administrative Officer for the University in the absence of the President. As the Chief Academic Officer, the Provost provides leadership for the planning, development, implementation, assessment, and improvement of all academic programs, policies and supporting infrastructure. The Provost plays a critical role in setting VinUniversity’s academic vision, providing leadership to faculty and staff, and ensuring consistent quality standards in curriculum and programs to meet the needs of students. The Provost oversees the academic integrity of the university and provides leadership in long-range planning, budgeting, curriculum, and program development. The Provost ensures compliance with various accreditation agencies as well as federal accreditation and regulation.
PRINCIPAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead assessment of the University strategic plan; and oversee and administer the overall campus planning process.
- Promote linkage and modification of academic programs to meet the evolving mission of the University, to align academic programs with the strategic plan of the University and to meet the needs of the students and faculty.
- The Provost’s direct reports include the deans and directors of all academic units, the vice presidents for budget and planning, Information Technology, Student Affairs, and the vice Provosts,
- Provide leadership to departments and offices responsible for following functions: external academic affairs, faculty development, academic assessment, institutional research, technology transfer, international programs, undergraduate education, and others as assigned.
- Provide leadership and guidance to all Deans to enhance effective operation, cost efficiency, and high quality academic programs.
- Work with all constituency groups to ensure that the academic programs of the University approaching high national/regional ranking, and are well placed with respect to the University’s peer or aspirational benchmark group.
- Ensure effective communications with the Office of the President.
- Ensure the operations of the departments fulfills the academic mission of the University.
- Support mutually beneficial partnerships between the university and business/industry, not-for-profit organizations and other educational institutions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Qualified for appointment as a tenured full professor in a Top University.
- Doctoral or equivalent degree required.
- At least ten years’ successful experience in progressively responsible teaching, administrative and educational leadership positions in a university setting.
- Demonstrated successful experience in strategic planning, fiscal management, resource allocation and personnel supervision.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Broad knowledge of the philosophy and mission of private universities
- Knowledge of curriculum design and its application to sound academic management
- Ability and skill in the design and application of methods for the evaluation of faculty and staff
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, complex ideas and recommendations
- Ability to carry out the functions of leadership along a planned program of institutional direction
- Ability to manage a university/college academic budget; ability to establish and monitor fiscal accountability within the areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send (1) a resume and (2) a cover letter explaining the interest in the position and relevant qualifications to email@example.com. Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning November 1, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including the candidate’s contact information to the Search Committee. The desired position start date is April 2019, subject to negotiation.
Cornell Daily Sun >> http://cornellsun.com/2018/03/16/cornell-to-help-establish-university-in-hanoi-incollaboration-with-vietnamese-company/
Vietnam Economic Times >> http://vneconomictimes.com/article/business/vingroup-partners-with-cornellpenn-universities
Vietnam News >> http://vietnamnews.vn/brand-info/426643/vinuni-creates-breakthrough-in-higher-educationquality.html#GGS8jf0qFgDupSrC.97
Penn News >> https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/news-releases/2018/september/penn-extends-its-globalreach-
Philadelphia Business Journal >> https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2018/09/12/penn-medicinevietnam-vinuni-vinmec-global-health.html
Apply for Provost
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly