Network Operations Specialist
Reporting to the Manager of Network Operations, this position will provide day to day operational support and coordination for all aspects of the Campus Data Network. Establish and maintain network performance by building network configurations and connections and troubleshooting network problems. Assist in development and maintenance of network communications. Use knowledge of LAN / WAN / WIFI systems to help install and manage internal and external networks. Work closely with all engineering groups as needed.
- Update/make changes to Traverse to add/remove a device along with related tests.
- Rack and wire a new appliance/switch/router that could weigh up to 35 lbs.
- Troubleshoot network problems, creating Service Now tickets.
- Update documentation/maps (visio) with changes in the network topology.
- Disconnect database to block (disable/enable) switch ports causing issues or security reasons.
- Configure, perform routine maintenance, and troubleshoot HP, Aruba, and Juniper edge network switches.
- Configure, provision, and troubleshoot Aruba wifi access points.
- Perform shipping and receiving. Check in new equipment. Send out failed network equipment.
- Monitor the network in order to maintain 24x7 operations and resolve service impacts as they occur.
- Work trouble tickets effectively and efficiently and that interact with engineering, Desk Top Support and telecommunications to facilitate resolving service issues in accordance with established processes and procedures.
- Document problem descriptions and detailed problem diagnosis with accuracy and compliance with established practices. Review and where necessary update the tracking of problems in trouble-ticketing system.
1. Provides communications network administration, including design, implementation and use of network software to design network architecture, test communications links and troubleshoot communication link failures. 2. Designs, installs, maintains, and documents network infrastructure including servers, routers, hubs, and wiring. 3. Oversees network/computer resources with regard to the installation and maintenance of new and in-service equipment. 4. Administers the testing and analysis of all components of network facilities to ensure operational status. 5. Supervises and monitors the wide area network services contracts. 6. Participates in the research, design, installation, and operation of the district, LAN, WAN, routers, multi-layer switches, and wireless networks. 7. Designs, installs and provides ongoing support for the onsite and offsite network security infrastructure including firewalls, VPNs, system patching, and managed anti-virus systems. 8. Provides management and maintenance on network servers and applications on various platforms as it applies to the onsite and offsite network. 9. Creates, maintains, and manages appropriate online documentation resources. 10. Maintains technical data on state-of-the-art systems or applications software and computer equipment; applies knowledge, as applicable, in making recommendations to management and/or users for new systems or modifications to existing systems. 11. Provides or assures that technical guidance and resources are available to team members when necessary. 12. Researches, evaluates and recommends changes in hardware, software, data communications, and techniques that contribute to more effective automated network systems capabilities. 13. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 2-4 years of related experience or the equivalent combination of experience & education.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Proven LAN and WAN troubleshooting skills and a solid understanding of network security.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Excellent organizational skills, oral and written communications. Proven background in networking technologies. Proven ability to work under pressure and against deadlines.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Knowledge of Cisco and/or Juniper IOS network operating system. Knowledge of Aruba networks wireless system.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Understanding of the OSI model. Knowledge and understanding of ITIL. Experience in LAN, WAN, Wi-Fi environment a plus.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.