Team Lead, Research Data Systems
Research Reporting, Analysis, Data and Systems (RRADS)
Reference no. 1801/0918C
- Great opportunity to lead and manage a highly skilled and experienced team providing critical specialist support to a broad range of researchers
- Use your advanced knowledge of SQL and SSRS reporting
- Full-time continuing, based at our Camperdown campus in the new F23 Administration Building, remuneration package: $121,932 to $137,512 (which includes salary, leave loading and 17% superannuation)
About the opportunity
As the Team Lead your key responsibility is to lead a specialist team responsible for supporting the research information systems that service the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research Portfolio (DVC R). These systems are a mix of database and reporting technology that provide a suite of specialised reporting and data management tools to ensure appropriate levels of data governance, quality and accuracy, specifically in connection with the management, collection and reporting of grants and contracts data, Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) data, benchmark data and research performance indicators among others.
This role is an excellent opportunity for an experienced team leader to develop a career in the higher education sector. Our university is large and diverse and our researchers make important contributions to the key local and global challenges that society faces. So in joining the university you will provide important support to enable the achievement of research goals.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for Team Lead, Research Data Systems who possesses:
- demonstrated experience leading a team of technical and functional staff which includes coordinating work to support key stakeholders and ensuring operational and reporting tools are managed and supported
- advanced knowledge of enterprise systems (either HR, Finance, Student or Research) and software packages (SQL (essential) and ideally Excel, Access) and their application to data management
- extensive reporting systems experience with SSRS (essential) and ideally any of the following: Tableau, Excel, Access or similar BI reporting tools
- a high level of attention to detail in the collection, processing and maintenance of electronic records and datasets
- excellent knowledge of data manipulation techniques to ensure data consistency across a wide range of datasets extracted from various sources
- a demonstrated ability to organise, document and review data quality and collection methodologies, policy and procedures
- great project management skills
- strong experience in dimensional modelling and ETL
- excellent customer service and communication skills
- a degree in a related discipline with statistics, data management and manipulation components.
We welcome applications from those with leadership skills who want to join the higher education sector, we offer an intellectually stimulating environment with a wealth of career development opportunities and excellent conditions of employment.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia’s first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6,000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
The DVCR also provides oversight for the governance and operations of the Charles Perkins Centre, The Brain and Mind Research Institute, the Australian Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology and the Centre for Translational Data Science.
The position will be located within the Research Reporting, Analysis and Data Systems (RRADS) group, one of groups within the Research Operations, Coordination and Systems Planning area within the Portfolio that currently support the DVC R and researchers to achieve the University’s strategic goals. The RRADS group is responsible for providing university wide reports and strategic information on research and research performance, managing government required reporting programs (Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC), SRE), managing data acquisition, coordinating application and system development to support business processes and requirements by developing and managing the data collection, analysing and reporting of the University’s research performance, including external obligations and internal absolute research performance reporting for the faculty funding model, and coordinating development of business systems to support business requirements.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1801/0918C to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, 7 October 2018 (Sydney time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.