Associate Professors in Mathematics Education
The Department of Teacher Education has approximately 360 members of staff, and around 4,000 students. The department offers a complete degree programme that qualifies students for teaching positions in all subjects and stages of Norwegian primary and secondary education. The department also offers a wide range of continuing education and in-service courses for teachers and school leaders, and has a separate bachelor programme in archive and collection management. Many courses are offered in collaboration with other departments at NTNU. NTNU and The Department of Teacher Education host The Norwegian National Research School in Teacher Education (NAFOL) and have their own PhD programme in Research with focus on Teacher Education and School Practice. Members of the department carry out a wide range of school and education based research projects.
The Department of Teacher Education is announcing three permanent full-time positions as Associate Professor in Mathematics Education.
The Department of Teacher Education offers a two-year Master’s degree in Mathematics education as well as mathematics modules which are part of the 5-year integrated Master’s programme in primary and secondary education. There are three different programmes: primary education for grades 1-7, secondary education for grades 5-10 and secondary education for grades 8-13. The department also offers a post-graduate certificate of education. NTNU also offers in-service courses in Mathematics for teachers in primary and secondary school. In the 5-year integrated Master’s programme in primary and secondary education the section will have responsibilities for three different programmes: for elementary teachers in grades 1-7, for secondary teachers in grades 5-10, and for specialization in early years teaching in Norwegian and mathematics for grades 1-4.
The Section of Mathematics currently consists of two Visiting Professors, 17 Associate Professors and 12 Assistant Professors. The section also have four PhD students.
- Teaching, supervision and examination work
- Research within his/her professional field and contribution to relevant research groups
- Take part in developing the scope and quality of research in the section
- Responsibilities involving students will be related to teaching, tutoring and examinations in accordance with current curricula and approved programmes. The appointee will take part in further developing the master programme in Mathematics Teacher Education as well as for teaching and supervising Master and PhD students
- Participation in administrative work
The successful candidates are obliged to follow the regulations that concern changes and developments within the discipline and/or the organizational changes concerning activities at NTNU.
- A Norwegian PhD (or foreign equivalent PhD) in mathematics education/mathematics.
- Documented research in mathematics education is highly desirable. Approximately half of the position is dedicated to research related work.
- Teaching experience from Norwegian primary or secondary school level and/or other relevant foreign institutions of education is desirable.
- To be considered for appointment, candidates must document university pedagogical qualifications. Candidates without such qualifications will be required to complete a training course within two years of employment. Uniped at NTNU offers such courses. For further information see: http://www.ntnu.edu/vacancies/pedagogical-qualifications
In addition to the formal academic qualification, the candidate’s personal skills including independence, creativity, motivation and the ability to work constructively and effectively as part of a team are crucial in the assessment of the successful candidate.
Scientific work in mathematics education will be emphasized in the assessment.
The assessment will be based on the documented scientific work, teaching experience, supervision of Master and PhD students, and other pedagogical experience. Quality and breadth will also be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview and will be asked to prepare a short lecture intended for a student audience.
Salary, terms and conditions
Salary for Associate Professor (Førsteamanuensis): Salary Code 1011, starting salary min. NOK 515 200. The successful candidate will normally be paid between NOK 515 200 to 713 600 per year depending on qualifications.
Terms and conditions of the position are subject to the current Acts and Regulations for Norwegian State Employees.
The successful candidate is required to live within commuting distance from The Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim.
Total work distribution will be divided between research, teaching and administration. The division between the different areas will vary, but over time, research and teaching will be equally distributed.
Employees in academic positions who are not already fluent in a Scandinavian language must within three years obtain knowledge of Norwegian or another Scandinavian language at an equivalent standard to level three in the Norwegian for Foreigners courses provided at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU. The University provides such courses. All other terms being equal an applicant who already is fluent in a Scandinavian language will be preferred.
The candidate must submit the following within the application deadline. These documents must be posted electronically via jobbnorge.no:
- A cover letter/application
- A complete CV
- Digital copies of relevant diplomas and certificates
- No more than 5 academic papers
- A brief description of the candidate’s most important academic papers that the evaluation committee should focus on specifically in their assessment.
Joint work will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify the contributions from individuals in a join piece of work, applicants should enclose a short descriptive summary of what he/she contributed to the work.
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology wishes to promote equal opportunities in all its employment practices. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
Information about the applicants may be open to public inspection according to the Freedom of Information Act.
Further information about the positions is available by contacting Head of Section Ole Enge, firstname.lastname@example.org tel. +4798483281
The application and attachments should be sent electronically via jobbnorge.no. Relevant diplomas and certificates should also be posted electronically. Certified copies of diplomas and certificates will be required from candidates who are invited for an interview. Please mark the application with this code: SU-219
Application deadline: 10.10.2018
ABOUT THIS JOB
- Deadline Wednesday, October 10, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Kalvskinnet
- Jobbnorge ID 156723
- Internal ID 2018/23237
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Permanent
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
More searches like this
- Permanent Education Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Norway
- Permanent Mathematics & Statistics Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Norway
- Permanent Physical Sciences Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Norway
- Permanent Social Sciences Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Norway