Academic Services Assistant
Classified Title: Academic Services Assistant
Working Title: Academic Services Assistant
Role/Level/Range: ATO 40/E/02/OD
Starting Salary Range: $15.11 - $20.79
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30a - 5:00p / 40 hrs per wk
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 05-MD:School of Public Health
Department name: 10001061-Admissions
Personnel area: School of Public Health
Academic Services Assistant will be part of the Admissions team and facilitate the entry of new students into graduate study by maintaining applicant files, providing admissions reports, and implementing technology that supports the admissions process. The Admissions office delivers streamlined and effective service to students, faculty and other staff involved in the admissions process at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The assistant must be a team player with an understanding of the internal and external stakeholders invested in the successful operation of the Admissions Office. Flexibility, ownership of responsibilities and pride in one's work are highly valued in this office.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides front line customer service: serves as primary phone answerer and greeter for Admissions walk-ins.
- Process and files incoming mail.
- Primary responsibility for answering and documenting response from incoming emails from prospective applicants, applicants and admitted students. Includes documenting and adding responses to the CRM system.
- In collaboration with Admissions Coordinator replies to applicant inquiries to provide updates on missing or incomplete items.
- Run queries in SOPHAS and SOPHAS Express daily to match new applications with received documents.
- Maintain electronic and paper files, data entry, electronic file transfers, photocopying, etc.
- Assist with processing applications on an as-needed basis, especially during peak periods.
- Review and revise relevant sections of the department manual. Recommend updates to the school’s Policy Procedure Memoranda’s (PPMs) as they relate to admissions requirements, policies and procedures.
- Advise prospective applicants, various departmental staff, and program faculty regarding federal compliance, applicant admissibility, equity issues, etc.
- Participate in school wide recruitment events, including occasional student tours.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Overtime is required during peak season
- HS/GED required.
- 2 years’ experience in an administrative office. College degree can substitute for some experience.
Experience preferably at an educational institution. Bachelor’s degree
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Data management skills and familiarity with reporting procedures.
- Ability to synthesize information and disseminate information from multiple sources.
- Demonstrated commitment to team work and superior customer service skills.
- Exceptional presentation skills and ability to professionally and enthusiastically represent the School and its educational programs.
- Demonstrated ability to provide accurate, well-written, customer-oriented correspondence.
- Ability to work independently, carry tasks through to completion and approach tasks as part of an ongoing process.
- Ability to contribute to and maintain a high-energy, high-volume office.
- Must possess exceptional attention to detail.
- Must possess strong problem solve skills.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information