Lab Research Analyst I, Molecular Physiology
- Prepare biologic samples including plasma, serum, urine, lysates of cultured cells, homogenates of tissues, and feces from human subjects and from laboratory animals for the mass spectrometry analysis of aminoacids, acylcarnitines,organic acids, and other metabolites
- Independently operate LC-MS/MS (Waters) and GCMS (Thermo) instruments
- Perform LC-MS/MS, GCMS, and MS/MS analysis of various biologic samples using established procedures and be able to modify them as needed
- Develop LC-MS/MS methods for the targeted analysis of small molecules
- Process the data using the software packages Target Lynx, NeoLynx, and Xcalibur
- Perform basic statistical analysis and review the data to ensure accuracy and quality control
- Troubleshoot and perform instrument maintenance such as cleaning the ion sources, injectors,and inlets, ballasting the pumps, tuning, replacing the capillaries and columns
- Interact with customers to define their needs
- Actively participate in academic and industrial collaborations,developing plans for delivery of projects, and discussing interpretation of results
- Communicate with service engineers regarding any instrument issues
- Review journals, abstracts and scientific literature to keep abreast of new developments and to obtain information regarding previous experiments to aid in the design and development of original procedures and techniques.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of materials and supplies for performance of duties
- Prepare and keep inventory of reagents and solutions
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Work requires a bachelor's degree in biology, biochemistry or chemistry or other directly related scientific field.
- Analytical chemistry degree is preferred.
- Work requires two years of research experience, ideally in quantitative, biological mass spectrometry.
- A related master's degree may substitute for two years of the required experience
- Knowledge of analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, biochemistry and metabolism is preferred
- Experience with metabolomics or proteomics would be a plus
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to work effectively and independently in a fast-paced,multidisciplinary team environment
- Strong attention to detail including record keeping coupled with organizations skills
- Must be able to safely handle chemical reagents and biohazardous materials
Requisition Number 401492891
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code 1888 LAB RESEARCH ANALYST I
Job Family Level 11
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or other directly related scientific field.
Work requires two years of research experience. A related master's degree may offset required years of experience on a 1:1 basis, e.g., a two year master's degree in lieu of two years of experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID