PhD Position within Novel Current Interruption Technologies in Power Networks
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (IE), http://www.ntnu.edu/ie at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) has a vacancy for a 100% position as a Research fellow at Department of Electric Power Engineering (IEL), http://www.ntnu.edu/iel
Information about the department
Currently there are 11 Professors and 7 Associate Professors at the Department. In addition, there are 4 Adjunct Professors, 2 Adjunct Associate Professors, 7 Postdoctoral Researchers, and around 40 PhD students and 14 technical/administrative staff. Research activities are organized into five groups. This position belongs to the High Voltage Technology group.
The department has a wide range of teaching responsibilities, ranging from fundamental education in electric power engineering for other engineering students, Master's programs in Energy and Environment, International MSc programs within Electric Power Engineering and Wind Energy, as well as PhD education and continuing education.
The PhD candidate will work within the field of current interruption and switchgear technology and in close cooperation with partner research organizations on novel current interruption technologies. The focus of the study will be on the pre-strike behaviour of SF6 – free medium voltage switching devices during their short circuit current making operation. The study includes both experimental investigations in high voltage and high current laboratory, and multi-physics simulations. Based on simulation and experimental results, the candidate will develop an appropriate model to describe the main physical processes such as welding of contacts of switching devices and pre-strike arc behaviour depending on different design parameters like the closing velocity of the switching device, its contact material and interruption medium.
Applicants must hold a M.Sc. degree (or equivalent) within electrical engineering or experimental physics and have a good background in one or several of the following areas: power apparatus, switchgear, high voltage engineering, plasma physics, multi-physics simulation and power system. Work experience in high voltage / high current laboratory is an advantage.Applicant mus
Excellent analytical and communication skills are required. The candidates must have an ability to work independently as well as in teams.
Applicants who do not master a Scandinavian language must provide evidence of good English language skills, written and spoken. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English.
(CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
Formal regulation for PhD
Appointments are made in accordance with the regulations in force regarding terms of employment for PhD candidates issued by the Ministry of Education and Research, with relevant parts of the additional guidelines for appointment as a PhD candidate at NTNU.
Applicants must undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme of study during their period of employment. The person who is appointed must comply with the conditions that apply at any time to employees in the public sector. In addition, a contract will be signed regarding the period of employment.
Applicants must be qualified for admission as PhD students at NTNU. See http://www.ime.ntnu.no/forskning/phd for information about PhD studies at NTNU. Together with the application, please include a description of the research work that is planned for completion during the period of the grant.
We can offer
- An informal and friendly workplace with dedicated colleagues
- Academic challenges
- Attractive schemes for housing loan, insurance and pension in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
NTNU wants to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of the gender, disability or cultural background.
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants.
The PhD is in code 1017 Research fellow, and is remunerated at a gross NOK 436 900 – 537 700 per year, depending on qualifications. A deduction of 2% is made as a statutory contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The application must be sent electronically via www.jobbnorge.no with information about education and relevant experience.
The application should contain:
- Information about education, exams and previous relevant work/research experience (a CV).
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates.
- Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree.
- Publications relevant to the research scope and any other work which the applicant wishes to be taken into account should clearly state the applicant’s contribution. A short summary should be attached outlining the applicant’s input to joint work.
- Names and contact information of at least two references
Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
For further information about the position, please contact Professor Kaveh Niayesh by E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark the application IE-162-2018
Deadline for applications: October 3, 2018
About this job
- Deadline Wednesday, October 3, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Trondheim
- Jobbnorge ID 157474
- Internal ID 2018/30684
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!