Data Scientist and Team Lead, Data Analytics Practice
Duke OIT - Service-Based Metrics & Reporting
Data Scientist and Team Leader, Data Analytics Practice
- Duke University seeks an experienced, motivated, and curious Data Scientist to lead an emerging practice in data analytics within the central information technology organization at a dynamic research university.
- The practice will advance data analysis approaches in research, instruction and university business units by applying state-of-the-art data mining techniques, performing statistical analysis, and using automation where practical to build and scale systems.
- The leader will work in close collaboration with research and academic programs, as well as administrative groups and institutional data stewards. In doing so, the data scientist will work with and provide mentorship to a team of 5-7 individuals whose purpose will be will to bring value from existing data.
- Working with both researchers and leaders of operational units at the institution, the team will turn data into actionable information from various sources and analyze it for insights and discoveries hidden therein.
- They will also drive a better understanding of efficiency and efficacy in many aspects of the business of the university. In support of teaching and learning, the data scientist will promote and help to coordinate courses and programs that teach data analytics skills, and will guide in the development of curricular materials and teach lessons within courses where opportunities exist.
- The successful candidate will be able to engage with and speak the language of faculty researchers, instructors and administrators, while also possessing skills, experience and curiosity that span research analysis, data science, and project management.
- Ideally, the data scientist will be comfortable in the research lab, classroom, or conference room and will be part scientist, part analyst, and part project manager, able to collaborate and work efficiently with the team.
- Though not a requirement, opportunities for interested candidates to teach or otherwise participate in curricular and co-curricular courses in data science are expected to be available.
(individually and with a team of data analysts/engineers/wranglers):
- Help OIT leadership build and manage the core data analytics team, including involvement in hiring, training, mentoring, and fostering talent development.
- Help triage among competing opportunities for the team’s attention, balancing good operational wins for Duke with service to our research and education communities.
- Leads in the research, evaluation, recommendation, and implementation of a comprehensive set of technologies/tools/processes in support of data analytics with a focus on data consistency, usability, and sustainability. Work with the IT Security Office to recommend improvements to Duke’s data governance and data management practices as may be needed over time.
- Inspires students, faculty, and staff to work with modern forms of digital data and new data management technologies, and coordinates across decentralized functions to establish better intra-institutional information about our data resources and uses, improving the flow of the data itself among units.
- Works with researchers and academic and operational stakeholders to identify the scientific, academic or business requirements and the expected outcome; collaborates to select the relevant sources of information; automates analysis and anomaly detection systems to provide and make efficient the continuous tracking of performance from various research and business data sources.
- Works with stakeholders to provide support for a variety of data analysis needs such as:
- Identifying cases where research techniques and data, in combination with business-support analytics, can bring new value or enable predictive analyses
- Use exploratory data analysis techniques to model and frame research or business scenarios that identify meaningful patterns, trends or relationships
- Leverage the expertise of and work with Duke’s academic data enginee to wrangle/extract/transform/load/cleanse/integrate multiple systems and data sets
- Work with academic faculty to monitor and optimize current forms of data collection and develop and integrate new forms of this collection, and to optimize the transformation of collected data into formats appropriate for analysis
- Perform ad hoc and iterative analysis to refine informational discoveries and communicate data analysis and findings effectively
- Coordinates and match makes across a range of existing and emerging academic and co-curricular programs, identifying gap opportunities for students to gain valuable experience in the process of exploring institutional or research data.
- Works with the CISO, Audit, and ORI offices to ensure that the information used complies with the regulatory and security policies in place; confirms where information can be stored or what information, external to the organization, may be used.
Qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science or related field or equivalent experience. Doctorate preferred.
- Typically requires 7-10 years of relevant quantitative and qualitative research and analytics experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the evaluation and implementation of a comprehensive set of data analytics technologies.
- The ability to come up with solutions to loosely defined business problems by leveraging pattern detection over potentially large datasets.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills, and experience collaborating directly with or in support of faculty researchers.
- Extensive experience with modern analytical tools and platforms. Specific expertise in the development and use of machine-learning algorithms is desirable.
- Demonstrated proficiency in statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms.
Requisition Number 401332722
Duke Entity CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
Job Code 2427 CONSULTANT, IT
Job Family Level E
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging.
Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard.
All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req ID