Program Coordinator, SSRI
Master's Interdisciplinary Data Science
This position supports the Master in Interdisciplinary Data Science (MIDS) program and is responsible for a broad range of activities that support the administration of the program and other SSRI related educational activities.
The program coordinator will assist in the development and execution of the tactical implementation of the program, ensuring continuous improvement of administrative and logistical operations. The program coordinator also serves as the assistant to the DGS, and helps students navigate the integration of the different facets of academic life into a fulfilling andcoherent academic and career plan. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and improve MIDS student programming related to cohort building, brand development, career readiness, and general wellness
- Identify and establish relationships with potential community or university partners
- Manage communications and meetings with university partners
- Coordinate with the MIDS faculty director and the SSRI associate director for education, research and evaluation to evaluate and collect data about MIDS educational services and courses
- Manage course catalog materials and process new course requests and changes for MIDS and SSRI education programs
- Manage course scheduling (includes overseeing room reservations, managing TA appointments, and coordinating with course instructors)
- Develop handbooks and supporting information for MIDS students and faculty
- Support course operations by providing general support for students and faculty, and managing yearly instructional plans, course material submissions, and classroom technology requirements
- Serve as liaison with the Graduate School, the SISS office, the University Registrar, Admissions, and other departments
- Manage and document Capstone project progress
- Design, budget, implement, and coordinate all logistics for academic events including pre-term preparation sessions (boot camps), course review sessions, team building activities, job interview training workshops, other professional development workshops, and job fairs
- Design, coordinate, and be onsite to manage special events such as orientation, graduation, end-of-year celebration, and other social events
- Coordinate logistics for related events and meetingsby negotiating with vendors, communicating with faculty/staff/students and guests, working with involved university departments, and managing travel
- Manage program databases, applications data, and FAQS
- Manage day-to-day financial procurement, payments, reimbursements, reconciliations, and program reporting
- Ensure faculty compensation and departmental and school obligations are met
- Work with the associate director for finance and administration on projections and annual budget preparation
- Represent SSRI/MIDS and serve on departmentalcommittees as assigned
- Recommend staffing actions, and train and supervise related program staff (i.e., temporary staff and work-study students)
Student Interaction and Services
- Manage all communications with applicants and students, including pre-application questions, questions about transitioning to Duke, questions about post-Duke life
- Oversee program email lists and announcements
- Design, implement, document, and evaluate programming to ensure students have a smooth transition between admission and matriculation
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with students through formal and informal advising
- Be the primary contact for students about academic, health, and life matters
- Coordinate and track faculty-student mentor relationships to ensure student needs and milestones are met
- Coordinate with faculty, the Admissions and Registrar's offices, the Graduate School, Career Services, International Office, directors of graduate studies, alumni relations, Student Affairs, Student Wellness Center, and other University entities to provide students with necessary information and resources for support to successfully complete their degree
- Work with MIDS staff to help design, implement, document, and evaluate programming for career development skills
- Help track and evaluate summer internships
- Work with the MIDS faculty director and the SSRI associate director for education, research and evaluation to assess the quality of the student experience, and recommend improvements
The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The position may be expected to take on other duties and special projects as assigned, and perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Education/Training: Work requires analytical, communications and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program. A master’s degree and experience with diverse populations in a business or higher education setting will be highly valued.
Experience: Work requires one year of experience in program administration or involving academic, instructional or counseling activities to acquire skills necessary to plan, coordinate and implement a variety of program activities and events. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANTEDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Skills: This position requires a creative and motivated individual with outstanding organizational and project management skills, high attention to detail, excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, and sensitivity and confidentiality to counseling issues that may arise with students. This position must also have the ability to work and communicate well with students, faculty, staff, administrators, University offices, and outside institutions.
The program coordinator must demonstrate the ability to work effectively under pressure, to meet deadlines, to prioritize in an independent manner and in a fast-paced environment with changing situations, and to exercise sound judgment. This position requires broad knowledge of academic program management and support, including knowledge of University systems and procedures.
The program coordinator must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suites (including Word and particularly Excel), Adobe Suites, database software, e-mail software, web-based tools, and academic tools for applicants/students, courses, space (i.e., Sakai, Hub, Duke@Work tools 25Live, SAP R/3, etc.), and be willing and able to learn new software to support program goals.
Requisition Number 401488273
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Code 2321 PROGRAM COORD
Job Family Level 10
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires analytical, communications and organizational skillsgenerally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
Work requires one year of experience in program administration orinvolving academic, instructional or counseling activities to acquireskills necessary to plan, coordinate and implement a variety of programactivities and events.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID