Administrative Assistant, Law School Dead's Office
Office of the Dean
The Dean’s Office Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to the Office of the Dean and Academic Affairs. The incumbent must be able to apply knowledge, skills, and prior experience to identify and effectively resolve complex and non-routine administrative problems. Given the highly sensitive and confidential nature of the work of the Dean’s Office and Academic Affairs, discretion, good judgment, sensitivity and respect are required.
Administrative Support for Academic Affairs:
- Prepare complex and detailed materials, presentations, and reports for various committees at the direction of the Associate Dean.
- Support the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs and Assistant Dean of Academic Initiatives with research and data analysis. Identify and alert Associate and Assistant Deans to any trends including recommendations or conclusions as appropriate. This includes:
- Median Grade Reports and
- Bar Passage Statistics.
- Work with the Assistant Dean of Academic Initiatives to effectively execute the Wintersession Program and the Duke DC Institute with particular focus on:
- Website management,
- Enrollment tracking,
- Faculty evaluations, and
- Travel arrangements for faculty.
- Provide recommendations on and implement improvements in workflow and office function as appropriate.
- Interpret and apply policies and procedures as applicable to the office and work functions.
- Document deadlines for projects andmaterials and alert Associate Dean to any approaching deadlines.
- Gather data and statistics for reporting to external agencies and participate in the preparation of complex internal and external reports requiring compilation, analysis, and evaluation of data.
- Prepare and track correspondence with university officials including, but not limited to, the following:
- The Master’s Advisory Council, including submitting the dual-degree enrollment report,
- Support the completion of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools annual survey,
- The Leadership Working Group, and
- The Curriculum Committee.
- Support the process for academic awards to students, including the Dean’s Awards, graduation awards, Latin honors, and Order of the Coif.
- Organize the Faculty Awards Ceremony and assist with graduation.
Administrative Support for Faculty Committees:
- Support various faculty committees.
- Assemble reports on faculty appointments and promotions, including processing time-sensitive, confidential documents.
- Schedule and coordinate arrangements for faculty candidate travel, faculty committee meetings, job talks, and other related events or activities.
- Assist with the reappointment process, including gathering information; preparing detailed, confidential reports.
Administrative Support for the Senior Associate Dean of Faculty & Research:
- Provide faculty support as well as event planning and other special projects as needed.
Administrative Support for the Dean:
- Serve as a backup to the Executive Assistant to the Deanas needed.
- Update and publish the faculty emaildistribution and mail merge lists.
- Support and manage the Law School CLE credit process.
- Provide backup assistance answering the telephones and greeting visitors to the Dean’s Office.
- Serve as a resource to the community concerning Dean’s Office activities.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Requisition Number 401493066
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Code 1004 ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Job Family Level 10
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a general educational background normally equivalent toa full high school education plus two years post-secondary education ina business-related field.
Work requires 4 years related business or administrative experience tobecome familiar with general personnel practices, accounting andbudgeting principles and coordination of major office activities.OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OREXPERIENCE.
Auto req ID