How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Anesthesiology department has an exciting opportunity for an Anesthesiology Technician to assist the Anesthesiologist with administration and monitoring of anesthesia in a variety of settings. The Anesthesia Technician is a member of the perioperative care support team that is invested in minimizing pain for persons undergoing procedures. This dynamic role is suitable for the following: persons with previous Anesthesia Technician experience, or persons with direct or indirect medical setting experience, or persons who have a least a high school diploma and are motivated to be trained to learn detailed, direct patient care support work in a fast paced health care setting. The role includes schedule variability and call variability.
Equipment & Procedural Support:
- Support of procedures by assisting in the preparation, maintenance and set up of patient equipment and anesthesia delivery system before, during, and after anesthesia care.
- Includes set-up and operation of anesthesia equipment including but is not limited to: fluid warmers, warm-air blankets, and rapid infuser devices.
- Operating Room equipment set up: Set-up supplies and assists in the placement of arterial lines, central lines, and epidural catheters. Set-up and assist in the placement of airway devices utilizing digital technology.
- Set-up and assist with the placement of Transesophageal Echo Monitoring.
- Set-up the supplies and devices necessary for Cardiac and Vascular cases and assist with their placement.
- At the request of the anesthesia staff, assist with the anesthetic induction of patients regardless of age.
- Samples, Checks and Patient transport:
- Obtain blood samples and perform laboratory tests on these samples.
- Perform QC checks on assigned testing devices.
- Assist anesthesia staff in the transportation of critically ill patients to and from the operating room and other anesthetizing locations.
- Check throughout shift to determine if assistance is required by anesthesia personnel in assigned rooms. Quickly respond to pages and provide requested service
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Supply and workroom management:
- Keep assigned workroom area neat and orderly, stocking supplies as they arrive in the workroom.
- Stock anesthesia carts throughout shift, assuring cart availability. Attend in-service education offerings on new equipment and devices. Provide instruction and advice to anesthesia personnel regarding new equipment and devices.
- Equipment Troubleshooting:
- Following training, trouble shoot anesthesia equipment by performing a series of diagnostic tests to determine problems and restore service. Assist in the evaluation of new equipment.
- Disassemble anesthesia machines, clean parts and retrieve usable supplies.
- Transport anesthesia equipment and supply carts to off-site anesthetizing locations in order to facilitate the conduct and anesthetic in these locations.
- Provide monitoring devices, oxygen tank, and any other necessary equipment for critically ill patient transportation. Change over the necessary equipment and medical supplies between cases and assure that the level of supplies in the anesthesia cart is adequate for the next case.
- Survey rooms at the beginning of each shift to determine if necessary equipment is present and in working order, medical supply levels are adequate, and patient suction is present and working.
- Make periodic sweeps of areas in the hospital that may have anesthesia equipment and return equipment to its proper location.
- This position involves a full range of physical activities, including: continuous walking and standing, lifting, pushing and pulling, in addition to occasional squatting and crouching.
- High school graduate, strong team player and supporter
- Highly reliable, punctual attendance
- Effective communications skills, Adept at conflict resolution.
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members in a flexible cooperative manner in a dynamic work environment
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks while paying close attention to detail
- Ability to engage in extended walking, standing and lift /position supplies and equipment of up to 50 lbs and assist with positioning pediatric and adult patients
- Basic life support (BLS) or obtain within three (3) months of hire.
- Advanced cardiovascular life support (ACLS) obtain within six (6) months of hire.
Ideal candidates must have schedule flexibility and ability to cover core hours and changing shift assignments: Weekend in house, weekday call, weekend call, night, and holiday shifts are required.
- One (1) year or more experience as an Anesthesia Technician.
- Science based college coursework.
- One (1) year or more direct or indirect health care experience
- Knowledge of medical terminology
Shift: Day/Evening rotator, 10:30am - 7:00pm, 2:00pm - 10:30pm.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.