Senior Database Administrator
6 days left
- Full Time
Location : Nationwide
Closing Date : 28/09/2018
Salary : Competitive
Employment Type : Permanent
Department : Group IT - Technical Services & IT Programmes
This role will be based at either London or Manchester office, with flexibility as appropriately agreed to work on occasion from home. Work may be required anywhere in the UK for periods of up to 1 week in duration. Occasional international visits may be required.
This role is primarily responsible for ensuring performance and reliability of all databases across all database software used across BPP including but not limited to Oracle, MySQL and SQL Server.
This role is responsible for all database planning, maintenance, troubleshooting of support issues and design/build of DDL scripts and code that sits within the database tier (eg triggers and stored procedures).
The role encompasses all aspects of database administration which amongst other duties will include capacity planning and monitoring, reviewing and providing advice to developers on scripts, data conversion, user access management and data uploads.
- Participate in technology and business projects.
- Work with BPP IT and with vendors to install, configure and maintain Oracle, SQL Server and MySQL database software.
- Take ownership of performance and capacity monitoring aspects of all BPP databases.
- Work with the BPP architects to ensure that all physical changes to database structures are fully documented and align to logical data models.
- Provide support to members of the BPP team relating to performance tuning of applications, integration, data quality monitoring and reporting.
- Maintain backup and recovery plans and procedures based on industry best practices.
- Understand and resolve security weaknesses of database software to minimise risk.
- Control database access for BPP employees.
- Assist Onsite engineers with diagnosing client software issues where database connectivity is a problem.
- Create sanitised data sets for use in development and testing functions.
- Own the reject and exception handling processes associated with scheduled database jobs.
- Execute one off data migration jobs and scripts as required.
- Perform functional testing on database capability proposed to be implemented into production.
- Work with the IT service desk on end user / project access issues to UK databases.
- Conform with relevant aspects of the BPP group IT strategies.
- Ensure that any service disruptions are reported immediately and summarised weekly to IT management.
- Assist the infrastructure team in sizing hardware used for database engines.
Key Performance Measures
- Ensure high database availability time for all databases platforms in use.
- Maintain a low incidence of database usability incidents.
- Service efficiently and consistently IT requests.
- Provide expert technical analysis and well-designed solutions.
The person in this role should have had:
- Significant experience working as a production database administrator.
- Significant experience working as a development database administrator.
- Experience with performance tuning on a data warehouse platform.
- Preferably some experience working on data conversions between database platforms.
- Excellent skills with Microsoft SQL and Oracle SQL.
- Intermediate level experience with MySQL.
- Ideally some exposure to Oracle extent management (Oracle 8 skill).
- Exposure to IT framework processes such as ITIL & SDLC.
- Preferably some experience working with PowerBI and SAS or similar reporting platforms.
- MS SQL
- Oracle PLSQL
- Database capacity planning
- Management of Oracle ASM
- Extent management
- Conversion of data between different databases
- Database monitoring & troubleshooting
- Database performance tuning
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
Relevant work experience will be considered as an alternative.
- Oracle DBA qualifications (inc. Clusterware, ASM and RAC administration)
- Microsoft DBA qualifications
- ITIL certification (desirable)
- IT degree or equivalent experience