Physician Assistant, Sarcoma Head Neck Outpatient Oncology
Medicine - Oncology
Your major responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Provide cohesion between the supervising physician, split clinic nursing support, referring providers and patients.
- Clinical assignment requires 6 sessions (3 days) per week. Sessions may include a mix of Sarcoma, Head & Neck and/or Endocrine Oncology patients. The physical locations of clinics will vary between the head and neck and sarcoma clinic locations. A session is typically defined as a ½ day of booked clinical time (8-12 or 1-5). One session may be held independently and would typically consist of follow-ups for patients on routine chemotherapy, ad hoc patient visits for management of acute problems and overflows of routine follow-ups from the physician’s clinics. Availability to see patients for acute problems at other times is expected.
- Clinical administrative days (2 days per week) are to be conducted on-site.
- Take patient histories, conduct physical examinations, document care as required, prepare patient workups and summaries and assume responsibility for developing therapeutic relationships with patients.
- Communicate with referring providers as warranted. Arrange hospital admissions and emergency room visits as needed by patients.
- Consult on and/or visit inpatients on an as needed basis.
- Review all labs, pathology and radiology reports and communicate relevant findings to supervising physician and to patients.
- Enter chemotherapy orders for outpatients and inpatients and forward to supervising physician for review / signing.
- Respond to triage nurse calls, pages and all other inbasket inquiries / requests in a timely manner, assist in expediting higher acuity issues
- Interact with scheduling staff and nursing staff to adjust clinic schedule as necessary to assure efficient clinic operations; this includes responding to and managing overbook requests.
- Order and schedule laboratory studies and diagnostic and therapeutic procedures; explain necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of scheduled diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to the patient.
- Complete (or delegate where appropriate) forms (such as FMLA and disability, letters of medical necessity, peer to peer reviews) where permitted. Coordinate supervising physician signing of home health orders.
- Cross-coverage duties may be assigned to back-up other APPs with responsibilities including seeing patients, answering inbaskets, refilling prescriptions, filling out orders and handling any pertinent patient clinical issue
- You may also have other responsibilities as a member of the Oncology team consistent with your position as a clinical provider.
Requisition Number 401487679
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code 1631 PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT
Job Family Level 55
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor’s degree in Health Science and a Physician Assistant Certificate of Registration with the North Carolina Medical Board or be certification eligible, and be certified as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
None required above education/training requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID