Research Contract Officer
- Convenient CBD location
- Casual position - 0.4 FTE
- HEW 7
RMIT is a global university of technology, design and enterprise. Our mission is to help shape the world through research, innovation, teaching and engagement, and to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work.
RMIT features among the world's top 200 institutions in 13 of the 30 subject areas in the 2015 QS subject rankings. We are among the world's top 100 universities in Art and Design; Architecture and the Built Environment; Engineering (Civil and Structural; Electrical and Electronic; and Mechanical, Aeronautical and Manufacturing); Computer Science; and Business and Management Studies.
The Research & Innovation Portfolio oversees research and research training across the University through the development and implementation of RMIT University's strategic research priorities and managing research systems and reporting requirements. The Portfolio supports the research activity of staff and student researchers with professional development, collaboration and funding opportunities, ethics and responsible conduct compliance, contract development, intellectual property, project completions and profiling.
Through the School of Graduate Research, the Portfolio is responsible for promoting and enhancing research education and training at RMIT in order to ensure the highest standard of research candidate experience is possible.
The Research Contracts Officer plays a key role in the development, review and approval of research related contracts and agreements entered into by RMIT University. These contracts are for matters that include research undertaken by the University following a competitive grant process or via commercial negotiation. In addition to reviewing and critiquing draft research agreements and related documents, the position monitors and recommends improvements to the Research Contracts Team's business processes, manages internal communications on the contracts function and oversees data integrity matters.
- Review draft funding and other research-related agreements to ensure the proposed contractual terms and conditions are acceptable, appropriate and compliant with University policies and other requirements. Recommend changes to terms and conditions where required and assist with the preparation of comprehensive and accurate agreement schedules.
- Act as a leading University resource on administrative and procedural matters relating to the preparation and approval of research contracts and agreements and provide expert, customer-focussed advice as well as support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage the development and production of effective internal University communications on the research contracts function including the preparation of comprehensive information packages, process charts, contract development guidelines, web-based communications and the provision of face-to-face training.
- Oversee and coordinate research contract data entry processes and training across the University, including analysis and reporting to ensure the integrity and accuracy of contract data entered within the Research Master database and promptly resolving identified data entry issues where necessary.
- Monitor, review and recommend changes to the Research Office's contracting processes and workflows and contribute to the implementation of initiatives directed towards streamlined, efficient and best practice service delivery. This will include proactively engaging with and soliciting feedback from stakeholders.
- Liaise closely and confidently with academic and administrative staff, granting bodies, partner research organisations, government agencies and other external parties on research contracting matters.
- Assist the Senior Manager, Research Contracts with any ad hoc projects and special initiatives aimed at improving the research contracts function.
Skills & Experience Required
- Substantial experience in an administrative and/or advisory role, preferably within the higher education sector or an equivalent environment.
- Ability to review and critique a wide range of draft funding and general commercial agreements and provide clear, concise feedback and advice to stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work systematically and simultaneously on multiple projects with different levels of priority and complexity, whilst meeting deadlines in a timely manner.
- Proven ability to pay close attention to detail and produce work that is of a high quality and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative, judgement and problem-solving skills in order to provide creative and practical solutions to problems.
- Excellent oral communication skills with the ability to build workplace relationships.
- A proven track record in providing high quality, customer focussed service.
- Demonstrated high level of computer literacy including an understanding of available information communication technologies and how to apply these innovatively to work situations.
- Applicants must hold a tertiary qualification in a relevant area with relevant experience or have substantial relevant experience.
For further information please contact Louise Braithwaite on email@example.com. To apply please forward over a CV and Cover Letter outlining relevant experience.