Associate Professor in Sport Science
There is a vacancy (permanent position) at The Department of Sociology and Political Science as Associate Professor in Sport Science with a social science profile.
The Department of Sociology and Political Science (ISS) is committed to carrying out teaching, research, and dissemination of knowledge in sociology, political science, sport science, and media studies. The Department has approximately 80 employees comprising 73 full-time equivalents involved in 11 study programs. ISS is characterised by a strong focus on the social sciences with the emphasis on sociology and political science, contributing to multidisciplinary study programs and research at NTNU. Sociology and political science also impact the Department`s sport science and media studies profile. The Department has three study programs within the field of Sport Sciences with a clear emphasis on social science: Bachelor of Social Sciences and Sport Science, Master in Sport Science and Physical Education, and Sport Science with Teacher Education.
With regard to both teaching and research, we are committed to identifying and meeting the major challenges in society. It is an important objective of the Department to develop and disseminate knowledge required to solve problems and challenges facing Norway and the world community. Our study programs aim to provide our graduates with the skills required in the labour market, and enable them to contribute to the development of society. Research at ISS shall be at a high scientific level, and contribute to the public debate and scientific development. For more information: www.ntnu.edu/iss
Responsibilities of the position as Associate Professor
- Responsibility for teaching and research in sport science, with a social science profile.
- Carry out teaching activities in accordance with the current study plan, and participate in further development of the academic field and teaching practices, including continuing education in the field.
- Carry out research within his/her professional field and research interests.
- Participate in one or more of the Departments’ relevant research groups
- Carry out examination work.
- Responsibility for administrative tasks.
- The Associate Professor is jointly responsible for academic matters together with other academic staff in the Department.
- Supervision of bachelor, master and doctoral candidates in his/her academic field.
- Dissemination of research findings.
- Represent his/her own and the Department’s academic discipline in local, national and international multidisciplinary research.
- Participate in the Department’s strategic scientific policy development.
The Associate Professor is obliged to teach in the academic field of the position and his/her own specialisation, at all levels.
The Associate Professor is required to conform with the regulations concerning changes and developments within the discipline and/or the organizational changes concerning activities at NTNU.
Qualifications for the position
The position requires documented comprehensive professional qualifications at a PhD level in Sport Science with emphasis on social science approaches, or a PhD in social sciences like sociology, political science, pedagogics or other social science discipline, that highlights relevant sport science issues. The Department will emphasize the candidate’s future research potential, and whether this is accordance with the strategic goals of the Department. Originality and quality in scientific publication the last five years, parental leave excluded, will be emphasized, as will Norwegian/Scandinavian and international publications. We will also emphasize the candidates will and potential for national and international research collaboration.
Applicants must document progression in research and publication, and present clear future research and publication plans. The person appointed for the position must also show ability and will to contribute to the long-term development of the research community at the Department. Furthermore we will emphasize the applicants’ ability to tie his/her research plans and interests to the research where our Department has ongoing activity and development potential.
We emphasize the candidates’ experience in teaching and supervision within themes that are central in our three study programs in sport science.
We require practical university pedagogic competence. Any person employed without university pedagogic competence and without documented equivalent qualifications, will be required to attend and complete an approved course in university pedagogics within two years. UNIPED at NTNU offers such courses.
Personal qualities are particularly emphasised. We require academic engagement, good inter-personal and communication skills as well as solid administrative proficiency.
Following the deadline for applications, a list of applicants will be compiled where those who are best qualified will be further assessed by an external scientific/professional committee. The top applicants from this assessment will be invited to undertake a pedagogical test including a trial lecture and an interview.
Salary and conditions of employment
Associate Professor, code 1011, carries a basic salary of NOK 515,200 per annum. The appointed persons will normally have an annual remuneration of NOK 515,200 to NOK 731,400, dependent upon qualifications. Two percent of gross salary is deducted as the contribution to the State Pension Scheme.
The overall requirements encompass research, teaching and administration. Time devoted to the respective areas will vary, but approximately equal time should be devoted to research and teaching.
Employees in academic positions who are not fluent in a Scandinavian language must acquire knowledge of Norwegian or another Scandinavian language within three years, and at an equivalent standard to level three in the ‘Norwegian for Foreigners’ courses provided at the Department of Language and Communication Studies. NTNU offers such courses.
For more information: https://www.ntnu.edu/vacancies/pedagogical-qualifications
The appointment is made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The employee is expected to accept any possible changes in work tasks.
It is a prerequisite that the appointed person takes up residence in order to be present and available for the institution as required.
- A vibrant research community in constant development
- A sound working environment
- Advantageous membership in training centres, and access to dynamic company sports
- Attractive schemes for home loans, insurance and pension in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
Applicants must submit three copies of the following documents within the closing date for applications:
- Five academic works that the applicant regards as his/her most significant contributions to the academic field of the position.
- A short description of these works and their contribution to the academic field.
- A comprehensive overview of all publications.
Joint works will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify the contribution by individuals in a joint work, applicants should enclose a short descriptive summary of his/her contribution.
A good working environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified applicants to apply irrespective of gender, disabilities or cultural background.
According to the Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be open to public scrutiny.
Further information concerning this post may be obtained from Head of Department Toril Aalberg, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For information about the application process, please contact Brith-Eli Åsland at HR section, email: email@example.com.
An application including attachments should be sent electronically via: www.jobbnorge.no SU-235. Relevant attestation and certificates must be attached electronically.
Application deadline: October 15, 2018
About this job
- Deadline Monday, October 15, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Dragvoll
- Jobbnorge ID 156965
- Internal ID 2018/18821
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Permanent
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!