Administrative Assistant, Economics Department
This position has responsibilities within several administrative functions in the Economics department including the supervision of three full-time staff members and delegation of financial processing responsibilities to other staff. The incumbent will be responsible for payroll processing, administrative processing of visitors and new hires, assistance to foreign nationals requiring visa/work authorization, and coordination of corporate card processing, and ensuring administrative suite office coverage.
Corporate Card Administration and Oversight
- Monitor processing of corporate card expenses by 3 full-time staff reports (and grants- funded corporate card processing performed by .2 FTE and another staff member who provides backup).
- Send scheduled reminders to Corporate Cardholders regarding missing receipts and or tasks awaiting cardholder/approver action in Duke@work, per Department Corporate Card Policy.
- Review and provide departmental approval as first stop in corporate card workflow through Duke@work. Ensure that all expenses and processing steps are in keeping with Duke policy.
- Assist with initiating expense reports (i.e. processing trips) as needed, if other team members cannot keep up with volume.
- Administer payroll and iForms foradjunct faculty, staff (monthly and bi-weekly), and undergraduate students (biweekly, not affiliated with the EcoTeach Center) in the Economics Department. This includes payrolldata entry, communication with Duke Corporate Payroll and other relevant departments, responding to payroll-related queries, processing terminations and other payroll forms, and assisting the Administrative Manager with financial oversight of the department.
- Oversee the timely submission of time reports for biweekly staff and undergraduate students according to established payroll deadlines; inform employees of changes in submission deadlines; and work with the Administrative Manager to resolve any problems or errors that occur.
- Perform avariety of duties involved in the accurate and complete preparation and processing of offer letters, payroll actions, and maintains records of personnel and related documents.
- Maintain personnel/payroll files for department employees, including faculty, staff, visitors, and undergraduate student employees notaffiliated with the EcoTeach Center.
- Answer routine inquiries from employees requiring knowledge and application of payroll and personnel policies and procedures.
Administrative Processing/Onboarding of New Employees and Visitors
- Ensure Duke University and Department administrative requirements and procedures for hiring and onboarding of new employees and visitors are satisfied.
- Process Duke Unique ID requests, letters requesting Duke ID cards, and direction to appropriate contacts (such as Econ IT staff for computer-related needs and University Parking Office for bus schedules and parking permits) and other University offices for administrative needs that arise. Supervision of 3 staff member and management of 213 Admin Suite Office Coverage Supervise Staff assistant to Chair, Accounting Specialist, and Staff Assistant in Administrative suite) all of whom provide general departmental administrative support.
- Ensure adequate staffing from 8:00 am-5:00 pm Monday through Friday in 213 Administrative Suite. Coordinate coverage of any potential gaps in office coverage, providing backup staffing as needed.
- Provide occasional back-up as needed in administrative support requests to Chair’s Office/Admin Suite. Contribute to departmental efforts and projects as directed by administrative manager.
- Monitor direct reports’ attendance and hours worked and report changes from scheduled hours to Admin Manager every other Friday in advance of time reporting deadlines.
Assistance to Foreign Nationals in the Economics Department
- Process on-line visa applications and prepare related documentation for new hires, visitors, and faculty requiring assistance with visa application issues and green card applications.
- Act as liaison with Duke Visa Services for foreign nationals in the Economics Department. ERID (Economics Research initiative at Duke) support
- Oversee Staff Assistant to Chair in completing administrative tasks associated with the ERID (Economics Research Initiative at Duke) Distinguished Visitor Program and conferences.
- Initiate AP check requests to reimburse and/or honoraria for ERID visitors.
- Monitor and reconcile ERID budget on a monthly basis insuring that all charges are accurate; provide quarterly reports to ERID Director.
- Provide monthly and yearend report to Administrative Manager of ERID events for distributionto individual donors to the program.
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described above.
Requisition Number 401490933
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Code 1004 ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Job Family Level 10
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a general educational background normally equivalent toa full high school education plus two years post-secondary education ina business-related field.
Work requires 4 years related business or administrative experience tobecome familiar with general personnel practices, accounting andbudgeting principles and coordination of major office activities.OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OREXPERIENCE.
Auto req ID