Medical Lab Technician II
DHRH BLOOD BANK
2nd shift 3pm-11:30pm Monday-Friday. Generalist tech working all areas of the lab.
Coordinate and participate in a variety of complex technical tasks in the performance of laboratory tests to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Perform routine tests in clinical laboratories for use in the treatment and diagnosis of disease using standard techniques and equipment; perform related duties in laboratory to include storing and labeling specimens and using manual and automatic equipment to prepare specimens and perform analytical tests.
- Prepare sterile media in plates, jars or test tubes for use in growing bacterial cultures; incubate culture for specific times at prescribed temperatures.
- Understand and comply with laboratory Quality Control and Quality Assurance policies and procedures for instrumentation and testing.
- Prepare solutions, reagents and stains, following standard laboratory formulas and procedures. Maintain detailed records of tests performed and report laboratory test results to appropriate personnel; recognize Quality Control shifts and trends and take appropriate action whenever necessary.
- Calibrate and perform routine maintenance on test equipment, clean and sterilize laboratory equipment, glassware and instruments, maintain laboratory supply of chemicals and glassware; perform routine maintenance on equipment.
- Collect blood specimens from patients using venipuncture, or heel or finger stick; carry out Point-of-Care Testing waived tests and urinalysis without microscope
- Utilize various hospital and laboratory information systems and software. Interact in a professional and courteous manner with doctors, nurses, and other personnel to provide technical guidance and address concerns.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Experience involving patient contact, customer service in a medical setting, strong communication skills, both verbal and written. Basic knowledge of medical terminology.
- Working knowledge of laboratory and hospital computer systems is helpful.
- Basic knowledge of laboratory safety and infection control procedures and practices including standard precautions and hazardous chemical handling.
- Ability to demonstrate required dexterity, knowledge, and ability to complete assigned laboratory tasks and skills, attention to detail and compliance with all appropriate regulatory and safety requirements.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
Requisition Number 401489184
Duke Entity DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Job Code 4591 MEDICAL LAB TECHNICIAN II
Job Family Level D2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
AA, AS or AD Degree, BS Degree.
MLT with >= 4 years of experience.Non-Cert Medical technologist (meeting CLIA requirements).
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician by a nationallyrecognized board/agency (required).
Auto req ID