Fibre Optics Technical Engineer
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an experienced fibre optics engineer looking to take part in the operation, maintenance and extension of fibre optics networks in a large industrial setting? Contribute your skills to the infrastructure for the major communication systems that constitute CERN's accelerator complex. CERN, take part!
You will be joining the Engineering Department (EN), Electrical Engineering Group (EL), Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC):
- The Department that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Group that is responsible for CERN's electrical and optical fibre distribution networks. Its main missions are to operate, maintain, extend and renovate the electrical network from 400 kV to 400/230 V and the optical fibre infrastructure, analyse and make projections for CERN's electrical energy consumption and manage relations with the energy suppliers. The group is also in charge of modifications and extensions to the networks when required by new projects, with project studies, equipment procurement, installation, supervision and commissioning.
- The Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC) that is in charge of CERN's optical fibre infrastructure, ensures the technical expertise in the field of fibre optics, and provides optical and copper signal cables, standardised racks and DC power cables for magnets in the accelerators and experimental areas. The Section provides engineering support to the CERN users, centralises their cabling requests and organises the installation activities through external industrial-support contractors.
As a fibre optics technical engineer in the FC section, you will actively contribute to the continuous extension, consolidation, and maintenance of CERN's optical fibre network constituting the infrastructure for the major communication systems of the various accelerators, including CERN's current leading project: the High-Luminosity Large Hadron Collider (HL-LHC).
- Take responsibility for project preparation and deployment concerning the optical fibre network.
- Organize optical fibre cabling installation campaigns on CERN sites, requiring close and frequent on-site interactions with contractors and CERN users from other Groups/Departments.
- Be in charge of the deployment of the optical fibre management system and related database tools.
- Participate in the design of the optical fibre network and its upgrades in view of improving its reliability and availability.
- Draw up technical specifications and manage industrial supply contracts.
- Select and define optical cabling components, installation methodologies, testing procedures, and naming conventions.
- Prepare data analysis, statistics and forecasting and follow-up project costs and financial plans.
- Provide specialized engineering support to optical fibre users.
- Contribute to copper cabling activities, as required.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical engineering, electronics engineering or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in project management relating to optical fibre installations.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optical fibre qualification and tests.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optoelectronics components and optical fibre transmission.
The following experience would be an asset:
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optical fibre and signal cabling installation. Ability to deal with contractors and sub-contractors.
- Experience in writing technical specifications and /or scientific publications.
- Practical experience of optical fibre cabling with the blowing method.
- Project management
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: and simulation design software.
- Optical cabling system design and implementation techniques.
- Knowledge of optical transmission fundamentals.
- Knowledge of test and measurement techniques in the optical fibre domain.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Achieving results: driving work/projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Solving problems: anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://careers.cern/content/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 16.09.2018.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: EN-EL-FC-2018-82-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Technical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further