Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Design Innovation
Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning
- Opportunities for candidates with experience in practice or research
- Continuing or Fixed-Term, Full-Time or Part-Time, Camperdown location
- Academic – Level B/C, Base Salary: $104,155 p.a. - $147,115 p.a. plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation.
About the opportunity
We are seeking to appoint a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer with a record of teaching design thinking/design innovation and/or facilitating design thinking/design innovation within an industry setting, and with a strong background in design management, product design and/or strategic design. The School offers several Design programs including the newly launched Master of Design (with specialisations in Design Innovation, and Strategic Design). We expect the successful candidate to primarily teach into this new postgraduate program. Having established industry and design community networks will be viewed favourably.
The successful candidate will have an excellent opportunity to take part in the foundation of the new Master of Design. They will offer both input and direction of curriculum as well as working on promotion (local and international) of the program to industry and prospective students. The successful applicant will also become a member of the Design Lab, and have the opportunity to develop their design innovation work in a highly collegiate environment of peers.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Design Innovation with:
- a record of successful design innovation in industry/commerce, or in research
- success in managing and leading design innovation projects
- demonstrated track record of successful lecturing, tutoring or facilitating in design thinking, design management, product design, design innovation and strategic design.
- a PhD in a relevant field and/or extensive industry experience in design, design innovation or other related fields
- capacity to undertake curriculum design and implementation
- demonstrated ability to develop, coordinate and evaluate teaching and learning
- a record of successful design innovation in industry/commerce, or research/design outcomes in high impact, international, peer-reviewed research outputs
- ability to articulate the application of your practice/research to real-world problems and opportunities
- demonstrated success in managing and leading design innovation projects
- experience working in a multidisciplinary work environment to deliver high level products, designs or outcomes
- an established industry profile both locally and internationally
- excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- success in obtaining competitive grant funding and/or industry funding
- capacity to attract high-quality PhD candidates and to successfully supervise them through to timely completions, and/or the ability to recruit high performing students into the Master of Design program
- demonstrated experience in leading teams
The successful candidate will be expected to build industry collaborations within the School, the University, government bodies, and beyond, and to apply industry challenges and problems into a classroom setting for students to tackle.
This position may be offered as a two year fixed term contract, with the possibility of extension, or offered as a continuing appointment as appropriate for the academic research record of the applicant.
Please refer to the Candidate Information Pack for further information. To be considered, it is essential that you upload a resume and address the online selection criteria.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1760/0918C to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, 14 October 2018 (Sydney Time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.