Associate Director of Annual Giving
Classified title: Annual Giving Officer
Working title (if applicable): Associate Director of Development
Starting Salary Range ($s): $58,695 - $62,220
Employee group (Full time/Part-time/Limited/Casual): Full time
Schedule (hours/days): M-F, 37.5
Employee subgroup (FLSA Status): Exempt
Department name: DAR
Personnel area (School): UA
The Associate Director of Development will build and advance relationships to drive philanthropy from undergraduate alumni through prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. As a critical member of the Office of Annual Giving (OAG), the successful candidate will focus on key prospects and leadership annual giving, manage a specific annual giving program including portfolio development, volunteer leadership, and analysis of results, and develop and implement plans and strategies to achieve annual goals. The Associate Director will manage collaborative fundraising strategies for annual and leadership annual gifts with divisional gift officers and central colleagues.
This position plans, executes, and monitors the continuous fundraising and engagement activities for undergraduate alumni who graduated from the Schools of Arts & Sciences and Engineering within a ten year span. The successful candidate will personally coordinate and leverage events (including reunions), personal solicitations, and volunteer activities, while offering input into direct solicitation programs. This position is responsible for reaching and exceeding annual targets to achieve the OAG and broader university’s goals of broadening and strengthening the base of constituent support from, and engagement with, Homewood undergraduate alumni. This position will also enhance the university’s constituent engagement efforts by collaborating with colleagues in the Office of Alumni Relations on such strategic approaches as reunion preparation, regional chapter programming, affinity groups, networking initiatives, and other engagement opportunities.
The Associate Director will:
- Oversee and manage overall engagement strategies for a primary portfolio of 250+ likely prospects from the ten graduating classes between 1969 and 1978.
- Develop annual and multi-year plans; create appropriate goals, timetables, gift tables, and participation targets. Monitor progress closely; regularly communicate with leadership, staff, and volunteers.
- Conduct 145+ strategic, in-person visits per year to qualify new prospects, solicit gifts, educate and steward donors, and recruit and engage volunteers.
- Deliver 175+ personalized solicitations for annual and leadership annual gifts to meet specific solicitation and commitment goals for the Hopkins Fund and for Homewood undergraduate annual giving more broadly.
- Train and support alumni volunteers to support the achievement of strategic goals. Identify and cultivate candidates for volunteer leadership roles.
- Meet with divisional colleagues in Arts and Sciences and Engineering to develop solicitation strategies for specific prospects.
- Meet with cross-campus partners, both within and outside of Development and Alumni Relations, to identify fundraising opportunities and share information with OAG colleagues.
- Identify prospects for potential engagement through reunion committees, volunteer activities, annual giving, and events.
- Monitor and contribute to the success of phone and mail solicitations by collaborating with the direct response marketing team.
- Enter action notes and other information into the ALADIN database.
- Attend internal meetings and work in a collaborative manner.
Qualifications: A bachelor's degree is required. A minimum of 3 years of experience in fundraising, sales, or marketing is required; preferably in higher education. Experience working with volunteers is strongly preferred. The successful candidate will demonstrate a proven ability to work independently and as part of a team with a result-oriented approach. This position requires frequent business travel (1-2 trips per month) and occasional work on nights and weekends.