Academic Services Assistant
Classified Title: Academic Services Assistant
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OD
Starting Salary Range: $15.11 - $20.79 per hour
Employee group: Limited
Schedule: seasonal variability. 20 + hours a week M-F.
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 02-MD:Mount Washington Campus
Department name: 10000091-Communications and Marketing
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth is a nonprofit dedicated to identifying and developing the talents of academically advanced K-12 students around the world. We provide today’s brightest students with fun, challenging courses; a community of engaged learners; and a strong foundation for future success in college and their careers. Want to join our team? We are looking for mission-driven problem-solvers who can thrive in CTY’s diverse, collaborative, fast-paced, and results-driven work environment. We value innovation, creativity, integrity, and a shared commitment to the bright young people we serve.
The Academic Services Assistant is a critical position in the Information Services Office of CTY, acting as front line staff who interact and assist potential CTY students and their families in learning more about CTY via phone and email communications. This position will assist interested students and their families in learning more about CTY, and how to qualify for services. This position assists potential and current CTY families through various application processes, with program-specific questions, and in understanding qualification requirements, among other customer needs by answering email inquiries, answering and routing phone calls, and communicating information about eligibility via phone and email.
This is a limited, part-time position with an expectation of 20 hours of work per week. The schedule will be negotiated, but is likely to be 8AM to noon (in Baltimore) Monday through Friday.
- Provide front-line customer service and clerical support.
- Know details about and be able to accurately and accessibly describe major CTY programs and services.
- Accurately describe major CTY programs and services.
- Persuasively communicate benefits of enrolling in a CTY program.
- Present academic program offerings, based on test score outcomes and expressed student/parent interest.
- Be expert in conveying program eligibility requirements and all policies.
- Articulate concepts and respond to inquiries clearly and with impeccable grammar and organization via email.
- Present a friendly and helpful phone presence at all times.
- Maintain logs of inquiries; create and generate reports.
- Escalate customer concerns as needed to appropriate internal stakeholders.
- Participate in the creation and translation of catalog/ brochure information and FAQs.
- Handle confidential information.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- High School Diploma/GED is required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Two years of office/clerical experience is required.
- Experience in a customer service, call center or academic setting is preferred.
- A school counseling background and/or knowledge of CTY’s programs, services, and procedures is preferred.
Required Special Skills and Knowledge:
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills in Chinese (Mandarin) and English languages.
- Attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to maintain a pleasant temperament at all times.
Internal and External Contacts Required as part of the job:
Potential CTY Students and Families. CTY staff members in various programs.
Physical Requirements for the Job:
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time
- Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery
- The incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone and face to face with internal and external customers and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings
- Position also requires a degree of mobility common to working in an office environment; bending, kneeling or standing during events and presentations may be required.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
- Work location is at the Johns Hopkins Mt. Washington Campus.
- All employees participating in or serving children in University programs must participate in mandatory Child Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information