Frontend Web Developer
Classified Title: Website Designer
Working Title: Frontend Web Developer
Starting Salary Range: $50,200 - $69,090 per year
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday through Friday
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 25-MD:JH at Columbia Center
Department name: 60000020-Center for Technology in Education (CTE)
Personnel area: School of Education
The Center for Technology in Education in the School of Education at Johns Hopkins University seeks a dynamic individual to fill the role of Frontend Web Developer. This full-time position requires a detail-oriented person with high technical abilities, good communications skills, and knowledge and experience with executing design plans.
This individual will have the unique opportunity to help support the instructional design team in developing web-based learning tools and resources. Reporting to the Senior Program Director for Learning, Engagement, and Design, this position will communicate with the instructional design team as well as internal and external subject matter experts to create assets to support the professional development work at the Center. This individual will have an artistic sensibility, as well as the technical skills to build and maintain dynamic, compelling and functional web-based technology geared for learning by educators in the field.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plays a key role in the production lifecycle that comprises comprehensive creative user experience design, wireframing and prototype development, technical build, testing, issue-tracking, direction, and management of critical web-based technology for a diverse audience.
- Develop and implement overall uniform design (branding) and industry-established technical standards. Utilizes design, technical and project management skills.
- Defines project objectives by analyzing user requirements and expectations, and developing blueprints for product features and functionality.
- Develop code for small- to large-scale development.
- Build and implement code templates and modules within a defined production structure that incorporates development protocols, source and version control, and quality assurance.
- Manages external relationships with vendors, such as website developers, to ensure that the web-based technology has the latest tools and applications to keep it fresh and dynamic.
- Ideal candidate must be able to work independently and with our instructional designers and subject matter experts.
- Candidate must also be able to work on multiple projects with shifting priorities and manage short- and long-term deadlines within the overall team project schedule.
- Direct work and communication with internal clients and external vendors will be required.
- Ability to communicate work plans, web, and digital technologies effectively is important; Participating in creative discussions, client and team meetings is essential to success.
- Provides staff and external partners training in the use of web-based technology/tool features.
- Supports users by developing documentation and assistance tools.
- Researches and evaluates new and emerging web technologies for deployment in web development efforts.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelor's degree in for Education that the bachelor's degree should be in Web Development, Digital Media Design, Computer Science or related discipline
- Four years of full-time related work experience.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience.
- Some familiarity with backend programming language, preferably PHP
- Experience with the following is a plus:
- Graphic design software (e.g., InDesign, Photoshop, etc.)
- Integrations (REST API, webhooks)
- Task automations (e.g., Zapier, IFTT)
- Prototyping (e.g. inVision, UXPin, Webflow, etc.)
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- SEO, Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Webmaster Tools, etc.
- Salesforce, SiteExecutive, Drupal, or Wordpress is helpful
- Familiarity with ADA compliance in regard to the web, specifically WCAG 2.0 Accessibility
- Source control management, e.g. Git
- Responsive Web Design
- Working knowledge of frontend development logic and constructs
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information