Medical Lab Scientist
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30-5
Perform a variety of routine and complex technical tasks in the performance of laboratory tests to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Job duties are dependent on the laboratory and may be composed of a combination of the following duties and responsibilities related to the specialization. Tasks are performed according to written procedures and policies with careful monitoring of quality control and quality assurance practices.
- Perform a variety of tests in clinical laboratories using standard techniques and equipment; perform related duties in the laboratory to include specimen handling, using manual and automatic equipment to test specimens, and perform and report analytical tests.
- Operate manual or computerized instrumentation.
- Calibrate and maintain instrumentation according to standard operating procedure.
- Process patient samples for testing using appropriate identification techniques and written procedures to ensure quality material for testing.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of assay problems as directed by senior staff. Communicate problems/issues to appropriate individuals.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Participate in the development of new medical laboratory tests and techniques.
- Participate in the preparation for lab inspections. Review lab inspection documents and procedures to maintain knowledge.
- Bring any non-compliance issues to the attention of upper level staff.
- Perform proficiency testing as directed to maintain compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Document quality control and quality assurance results. Notify upper level personnel of instrument malfunctions or unusual or unexpected data or results.
- Review written procedures and policies for accuracy and submit changes to manager or designee.
- Understand, comply, and perform with all necessary safety procedures.
- Maintain compliance with safety training. Report all safety incidents within 24 hours.
- Attend all laboratory meetings, safety and compliance training as required.
- Comply with competency testing procedures for the laboratory staff.
- Comply with laboratory training programs.
- May provide technical guidance and instruction to students, interns, residents, staff and other employees.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Use behaviors that support achievement of balanced scorecard targets and support DUHS values.
- Consistently cooperate and communicate effectively with co-workers to ensure effective workflow.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and directed.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Great customer service skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel and PowerPoint).
- Some knowledge of Point of Care Testing (Preferred).
- Must be able to work under pressure in a busy office/program environment.
- Must be able to react quickly and efficiently to customer issues.
- Must travel to offsite locations on needed basis (required at least monthly).
- Must be able to handle multiple assignments, conflicting demands & priorities.
- Must maintain attention to detail over extended period of time with multiple interruptions.
- Must be able to walk 5,000 to 10,000 steps throughout the day.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to push/pull 50lbs.
- Must be able to carry 25 lbs.
- Must be able to reach for objects by extending arms.
- Must be able to crawl under desk/counters to troubleshoot equipment.
Requisition Number 401489224
Duke Entity DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Job Code 4266 MEDICAL LAB SCIENTIST
Job Family Level E1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
BS degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Sciences,Biological Science or related field is required. Generalistcertification required for General labs. Generalist/Specialtycertification required for specialty labs.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Registry eligible. Generalist/Specialty Certification by a nationallyrecognized board/agency (required within 18 months of hire).Certification will vary depending on laboratory. Advanced degree (MS orhigher) accepted in lieu of certification.
Auto req ID