Pharmacy Tech II, Home Health and Hospice
The employee assists the Director of Pharmacy and the Pharmacist by providing technical support in the performance of technical duties related to preparation and dispensing of sterile products. The employee also serves as the primary contact and coordinator for patients.
MAJOR JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Contacts all enteral patients on a monthly basis to coordinate delivery of supplies and nutrition.
- Provides information to the warehouse staff in advance with necessary levels of enteral supplies.
- Calculates and verifies adequate supplies for each patient.
- Documents appropriately in software system and notifies pharmacist of any significant problems.
- Understands basics of reimbursement plans to maximize profits.
- Informs pharmacists of enteral supply problems
- Cooperates and works well with other staff members in the planning and organizing of pharmacy services.
- Understands and adheres to:
- All applicable State, local and Federal laws and/or regulations.
- Company policies and procedures.
- External accreditation/review standards.
- Assists the Pharmacist with the compounding of intravenous medications according to the principles of strict aseptic technique and USP 797.
- Checks for expired/unusable medications, at least monthly and disposes of them properly.
- Batches medication preparation to minimize wastes and improve efficiency.
- Attends morning report and disseminates information to fellow technicians.
- Demonstrates the ability to work effectively and maintain expected productivity.
- Prioritizes activities appropriately.
- Ensures TPN compounding and Repeater Pump equipment is tested and calibrated to ensure proper functionality
- Performs and records various quality control activities including Air Sampling, Glove Fingertip Testing, Surface Sampling and Sterility Testing. Reports all positive results to the Operations Pharmacist immediately if requested.
- Assists the Operations Pharmacist in maximizing the efficiency and productivity of the pharmacy.
- Prioritizes filling of orders to facilitate timely delivery using color coded bins
- Facilitates order filling to assure prioritizing is followed.
- Places bins in appropriate area for Pharmacist checking
- Informs Operations Pharmacist or other available pharmacist of "Stat" orders ready for checking
- Performs Pharmacy Technician functions as needed
- Ensures the clean room suites and related equipment are cleaned and maintained per USP 797 and organizational policy and procedure, by utilizing a daily checklist.
- Provides cross-coverage as a patient services coordinator to help fulfill operational needs of the department.
- Participates in Performance Improvement Program.
- Clearly and effectively communicates both verbally and in writing.
- Communicates in a timely manner.
- Exhibits an attitude that promotes harmony and goodwill in the workplace.
- Must be receptive to new ideas and views of others.
- Regularly, attends staff meetings.
- Establishes positive working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Displays a clean, neat and professional appearance.
- Promotes culture by providing quality, comprehensive services to all customers through a team approach.
- Changes the pre-filters for the laminar flow hoods on a monthly basis if requested.
- Able to record the daily temperatures of the refrigerator, walk-in refrigerator, incubator and TPN room; and report any deviations to the Operations Pharmacist immediately.
- Able to record the daily humidity from the TPN Main display and reports any deviations to the Operations Pharmacist immediately.
- Disinfects all workroom surfaces with 2% bleach solutions prior to and after compounding.
- Participates in the daily, weekly and monthly cleaning duties of the Pharmacy.
- Completes his/her assigned projects in a timely manner.
- Achieves a passing score on all competencies/validation testing.
homecare, hospice, CPhT I, Pharmacy Technician II, infusion
Requisition Number 300000332
Duke Entity DUKE HOMECARE AND HOSPICE
Job Code 4121 PHARMACY TECH II
Job Family Level C1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires high school or equivalent plus successful completion of a formalized Pharmacy Technician program.
Minimum of 2 years experience as a pharmacy technician. Experience in hospital IV room and/or home infusion with training/experience in alternate site/home health pharmacy practice is strongly preferred. Maintains a current pharmacy technician certification where required by law and/or regulation. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
- Pharmacy Technician certification is required.
- Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
- Must be eligible for registry with the NC Board of Pharmacy
Auto req ID