Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
The Data Insights team at the Stanford GSB supports the school’s ETL, API and analytics needs. We’re looking to add a strong hands-on Database Engineer to the team. The ideal candidate must have extensive hands-on experience an all relevant tech and tools; experience in dealing with business level conversations and interactions; juggling multiple and shifting priorities; in building environment-appropriate, practical solutions that appropriately balance between competing pulls of the immediate and future. Since the team is distributed across time zones, ability to collaborate across the distributed work environment is crucial.
Responsible for development of complex technical analysis and design, new programming, modifications, scheduling, tuning, testing and maintenance of systems in support of new and existing Business Intelligence(BI) and other projects.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Architect, design, implement and maintain secure, scalable BI data stores for structured and unstructured data for all domains of the school’s business - Operations, Learning, Admissions, CRM etc.
- Collaborate with Integration Engineers to build ETL processes for ingesting data into BI stores and do data prep for BI dashboards.
- Provide complex analysis, conceptualize, design, implement and develop solutions for critical BI components.
- Plan and implement standards, define/code conformed global and reusable objects, perform complex database design, data modeling (EDW) and programming and streamline the systems.
- Consult with client groups to assess user needs and understand business processes; convert requirements into technical solutions.
- Contribute to data analysis, design and development of new and ongoing business intelligence (BI) projects involving complex EDW structures OR on OLTP systems.
- Collaborate closely with internal and external teams to understand and apply changes/modifications impacting data warehouse.
- Monitor industry for emerging technologies and trends; provide appropriate recommendations to team and leadership.
- Provide technical mentoring to other team members, as appropriate.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and seven years of relevant experience in computer science, or engineering or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Mastery in SQL skills and ability to support SQL based ETL processes.
- Mastery in Business Intelligence and Data warehousing concepts and methodologies.
- Expertise on Databases, data acquisition, ETL strategies and tools and technologies like Informatica, Talend etc.
- Expert in Data Modeling data from heterogeneous OLTP sources into appropriate BI stores - structured warehouses and data lakes.
- Experienced in designing Physical and Reporting Data models for seamless cross-functional and cross-systems data reporting.
- Experienced in building robust and reusable Data Prep processes to support BI Analysts.
- Experience working with standard SDLC processes.
- Experience in one or more programming platforms like R, python etc. a strong plus.
- Experience in relevant components of AWS and GCP a strong plus.
- Experience in machine learning a plus.
- Self-motivated, demonstrable quick learner of new technologies and/or processes. Experienced in working with distributed teams across time zones.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.