Digital Engagement and Marketing Specialist
The Stanford School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences (SE3) develops the knowledge and talent to understand the workings of the planet and to help solve resource and environmental challenges. The Dean’s Office Marketing & Communications team creates editorial content to disseminate faculty research and supports outreach for courses, field trips, and teaching resources through digital, web, video, and print distribution.
Want to be part of a fast-paced, collaborative communications and marketing team? Want to work with content that aims to inspire and educate students, policy makers, and the public to understand their planet, how it works, and what is at stake?
The Digital Engagement and Marketing Specialist for the Stanford School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences (Stanford Earth) will have a two-fold responsibility to communicate the school’s research impact and teaching offerings through digital media, as well to develop and implement offline marketing plans in support of department initiatives. Those will include communication to Stanford students as well to outside influencer audiences. The specialist will also help shape and produce a benchmarking report on online course opportunities.
Your Responsibilities will include*:
Social media content and outreach 50%
Strategize, plan, and execute content for all four Stanford Earth social media platforms, including creation of written and video material for daily postings, event posting, and 4X a year targeted #MeetStanfordEarth campaigns. Plan and execute paid social promotion in support of undergraduate outreach, faculty thought leadership in sustainability and Earth sciences, and building the Stanford Earth Matters online magazine subscription base. Participate actively in editorial team decision-making around content strategy and distribution. Act as a collaborative liaison with the Stanford University Communications digital team and other social media units on campus.
Metrics and analysis 10%
Analyze and report results from campaigns, assess and manage web analytics.
Program Marketing 40%
Manage and give guidance on Stanford Earth brand assets including logo usage and appropriate use of voice. Help shape a picture of how the modern geoscientist works and the relevance of that work to the future of our planet. Develop and execute marketing plans for events, courses, new programs, speaker series, and other educational offerings. Assist in development of benchmarking studies around online education in the earth sciences, including faculty surveys and white paper writing. Work with graphic designers and photographers.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in this position, you will need:
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and minimum 3 years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Knowledge of the web, technology, social platforms, current and future trends.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated problem solver.
- Ability to leverage current and future trends to help an organization succeed at the initiative level, for a specific group, team or unit.
- Ability to work independently to meet expected deadlines and schedules.
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
5+ years working with social media campaigns and analytics. Proven organizational skills, ability to drive projects forward independently, experience working with graphic designers and photographers.
Demonstrated curiosity, superior organizational skills, ability to work in a fast-paced team, quick response to news-driven events, and proven ability to write succinctly and create simple video for the web and social media. Experience working with multiple stakeholders in a highly decentralized environment.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Why Stanford is for you:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, you must submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.