Geotechnical Laboratory Assistant
Geotechnical Laboratory Assistant
The University of Kurdistan’s School of Science and Engineering is making significant investments in new academic positions to support its strategic development within the next five years to enable the School and its newly formed Civil Engineering Department to be a key player in the field, both nationally and internationally.
We are seeking inspirational academics to join our team. These individuals should be able to contribute to the success and growth of our department. It is anticipated upon the candidates to have experience with the employment of typical soil and rock laboratory equipment such as direct shear testing machine, triaxial testing and uniaxial compression strength machines for soil and rock samples.
This opening will be a good opportunity to join a strong team of academics committed to enhancing the University of Kurdistan Hewlêr. The selected individual will be a key provider in Higher Education in his/her areas of specialization and be a contributor to international collaboration.
VACANCY TITLE: Geotechnical Laboratory Assistant
VACANCY AVAILABLE: One
SCHOOL/DEPARTMENT: School of Science and Engineering/Civil Engineering
JOB FAMILY: Academic
TYPE OF CONTRACT: FTE 1.0
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours/Week (Normally 08:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Sunday – Thursday)
PLACE OF WORK: University of Kurdistan Hewlêr (Erbil)
REPORTING TO: Chair of the Department
APPOINTMENT DURATION: 3 Years
PROBATION: 12 Months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Application is open until the position is filled
JD VERSION (HR): 111217-1
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Geotechnical Laboratory Assistant, in consultation with the line manager, will:
- Help students to undertake soil and rock mechanics tests and provide them with the opportunity to familiarize with practical aspects of the subject matter.
- Collect the matter necessary to undertake the soil and rock experiments.
- Help with compilation and recording of data obtained from the lab equipment for research purposes, if required.
- Organize and update the available test results for possible future uses.
- Follow up on the procurement, assemblage, training, operating, and maintaining of the laboratory equipment.
- Calibrate and overhaul the equipment as necessary.
- Provide the Civil Engineering Department with technical reports and reviews on sampling, testing, or data analysis, if required.
- Maintain health and safety protocols for the laboratory.
- Cooperate in research and scholarly activities in Civil Engineering, with a focus on geotechnical specialization.
- Contribute, where appropriate, to knowledge transfer, income generation, and consultancy activities of the University.
- Communicate effectively with other Schools/Departments/Units within the University, and other relevant external institutions.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with industries, academics, research centres, and/or government institutions.
- Provide the laboratory-related support, counselling and tutorials to students.
- Work co-operatively with academic colleagues as a member of the Civil Engineering Department.
- Create a positive image of the University by being responsive and promptly responding to requests and enquiries.
- Participate in the daily life of the School and the Department by being involved in different pedagogic tasks and creating synergy between research and learning.
- Contribute to the management tasks in the School if required.
- Participate in meetings, and activities concerning the laboratory.
- Assist the Chair of the Department in developing internal and external communities that promote the geotechnical engineering program and the University.
a. Contributing to research group discussions regarding the analysis of laboratory data
b. Writing research grant applications.
- Plan, prioritize and organize own work or resources to achieve agreed objectives.
- Monitor progress against agreed action plans.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties commensurate with the nature of the post and as requested by the line manager. The Dean can dedicate the position holder to participate in administrative posts besides scientific activities.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants are requested to email their Application Form, CV, and Personal Statement to firstname.lastname@example.org by indicating the specific Vacancy Title: Geotechnical Laboratory Technician (Soil and Rock Mechanics) in the Civil Engineering Department and inserting the most recent passport size photo in the area provided on the application form.
- Only complete applications: Application Form (with the most recent photo), Personal Statement and CV will be considered.
- Size of the photo must be 45mm x 35mm with no less than 150 pixels for the quality.
- Any application that does not specify the vacancy applied for will not be considered.
- An Application Form is available at ‘Vacancies’ on the University website (http://www.ukh.edu.krd).
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.