Starting Salary Range: $14.00 - $19.25
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10003533-SOM Neuro Sur Neurosurgical Oncology
Personnel area: School of Medicine
- Under general supervision of a faculty investigator or laboratory supervisor is responsible for performing routine analyses and tests on animal or human fluids and/or tissue.
- Work requires basic use of scientific methods, procedures and techniques gained through previous training and experience.
- Uses basic understanding of theory behind experiments and applies basic analytical skills to implement assigned projects, and to identify and trouble-shoot situations needing special attention.
- Follows established procedures or protocols and utilizes aseptic technique to perform experiments associated with immunology, serology and/or virology.
- These may require basic blood separation, labeling and assay methods such as ELISA, immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry, MACs bead isolations and other associated specialized laboratory methods including tissue culture and molecular biology techniques.
- May also perform separation, identification and purification methods for identifying cell populations.
- Operates basic laboratory equipment such as centrifuge, pH meter, analytical balance, scintillation counter, spectrophotometer, light microscope, and/or utilize laminar flow hood.
- May also utilize sophisticated instrumentation such as: flow cytometer; thermocycler; and spectrophotometer.
- Operates lab computers for data entry.
- May utilize in vivo models in experiments.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Following experimental protocols, monitors animals and maintains health record in accordance with USDA and AALAC guidelines.
- Sacrifices and dissects animal tissues as required.
- Prepares tissue for study utilizing histochemical techniques.
- Maintains accurate data records.
- Maintains and makes minor adjustments to equipment, e.g. calibrating, alignment.
- Prepares solutions, reagents, and stains following standard laboratory formulas and procedures.
- Monitors inventory levels, orders materials and supplies in accordance with established policies and procedures, counts orders upon receipt.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or related field required.
Some related post-undergraduate work experience preferred.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: