The duties and responsibilities listed below are in addition to the duties performed by Maintenance Person IV (See Bargaining Unit Job Specifications).
Work under general supervision and perform tasks of substantial complexity with full working knowledge of Machine Shop procedures and practices in metal fabrication. Will typically work within prescribed procedures, but may make unique and innovative modifications as necessary. Must safely and expeditiously discharge their assigned work. Work may be spot checked while in progress or inspected upon completion. May work alone, and/or as a member of a team.
Auto & Equipment Maintenance/Metal Fabrication
- Repair a variety of trucks, autos & equipment, machines such as pumps, fans, blowers, motors, metal items.
- Diagnose causes of malfunctions by observing, dismantling and inspecting equipment with test instruments
- Fabricate equipment and apparatus according to sketches or verbal instructions
- Perform gas, tig, mig & arc welding on, aluminum, cast iron, stainless steel, ferrous and non - ferrous metals
- Lay out and perform assigned work, communicate w/ Lead or Supervisor on project status, progress, obstacles.
- Skilled in the use and care of all Machine shop tools and equipment, including but not limited to the lathe, mill, arc, mig, tig and gas welders, gas cutting torches, plasma arc cutters and all hand tools common to the metal working trade.
Employee’s in this classification are required to possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s license as required based on the vehicle operations within the department.
Must be skilled in the use of the tools, materials, and equipment used in this trade. They must have sufficient skill and experience to qualify as a journey-level worker in the metal fabrication trade. This level of skill would generally be associated with four years of actual work experience in the trade. This may include time as an apprentice or in vocational training. A valid California driver's license and a good driving record are required. Candidate must also be able to pass & maintain a welding certification certificate at a minimum of “3 - G” position within 3 months of employment.
Must be able to work overtime and/or callback rotation when required.
In addition, employees must demonstrate proficiency in interpersonal skills, communication skills, problem solving/decision making, flexibility, resource utilization and cooperation all in the context of the workplace and the goal of providing outstanding customer service to internal and external clientele.