Research Fellow in Mathematics
Classification: Academic Level B
Salary package: $98,009 - $111,365 plus 17% superannuation
Terms: Full time, Fixed term (2 years)
The position is available immediately - fixed term - 2 years with possible extension.
The Research School of Computer Science (RSCS) at the Australian National University (ANU) is seeking an outstanding Research Fellow with
- PhD, or near completion of a PhD, in mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering, or related.
- strong abstract mathematical thinking capacity (similar as e.g. required in discrete math, complexity theory, algebra)
- interest to work on problems in the area of Universal AI (broadly understood)
- research experience in information theory or statistics or machine learning or artificial intelligence
- good publication track record
- ability and interest to co-supervise PhD/MPhil research students.
The position holder will be member of the Intelligent Agents team lead by Professor Marcus Hutter, and primarily work on Unifying Foundations for Intelligent Agents. There is funding from multiple sources, all more or less related to the theory of Universal AI.
The research agenda is rather flexible but should be relevant to one of the following areas:
- Unifying foundations for intelligent agents
- Safety of super-intelligent agents
- Optimal ethical decision making
Technically the research will be in some of the following areas: artificial intelligence, Bayesian statistics, machine learning, universal forecasting, information theory, agent/control theory, complexity theory, decision theory, philosophy of science. It is expected that the applicant has and/or quickly acquires expertise in some of these areas.
There is the option to co-teach undergraduate classes.
The idyllic campus of the Australian National University (ANU) is located in the city of Canberra, the Federal Capital of Australia, ranked 1st of 362 by OECD in 2014 and 3rd by Lonely Planet in 2018. The ANU consistently ranks among the top of all Universities in the southern hemisphere, in the top 5 in the Asia/Pacific region, and in the top 50 worldwide.
For all enquiries please contract Professor Marcus Hutter,
T: +61 2 6125 1605
Closing date: 31 December 2018
Position description: Research Fellow_Level B_PD.pdf
ANU values diversity and inclusion and believes employment opportunities must not be limited by socio-economic background, race, religion or gender. The University actively encourages applications from women and candidates from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Furthermore, it is policy in the ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science to require selection panels to seek a gender balance when compiling shortlists of candidates for interview. For more information about staff equity at ANU, visit https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources/respect-inclusion
Please make sure that your application includes the following information/documents:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria.
- Current curriculum vitae
- Academic transcript(s)
- Names and contact details of at least three referees
(preferably including a current or previous supervisor).
- Statement on how your research interests fit the above topics (1-2 pages).
- Links to your PhD & other theses and publications and Google Scholar profile.
- (Links to) 2-5 career-best publications where you are the primary author (incl. CORE/ERA rank).
- Other supporting material
Applications which do not address the selection criteria may not be considered for the position.
Applications will be accepted throughout the year 2018 until the position is filled.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Computer Science Research Fellowships jobs in Canberra
- Fixed Term Engineering & Technology Research Fellowships jobs in Canberra
- Fixed Term Mathematics & Statistics Research Fellowships jobs in Canberra
- Fixed Term Physical Sciences Research Fellowships jobs in Canberra
- Fixed Term Physics & Astronomy Research Fellowships jobs in Canberra