Senior Systems Administrator
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 7.5
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 45-MD:JH at Keswick
Department name: 10001609-Systems Support
Personnel area: University Administration
The Senior Systems Administrator is responsible for the creation, implementation, maintenance, performance, production support and documentation of Johns Hopkins Facilities & Real Estate (JHFRE) and enterprise-wide application systems. This includes but is not limited to the installation, modification, and testing of new and/or upgraded applications (packages or home grown), operating systems, file structures, hardware, communication devices, and productivity tools. Applies analysis techniques and procedures to gather and then translate business requirements into functional/technical specifications and designs. This position will ensure adherence to quality standards and review project deliverables to ensure project goals are accomplished.
The Senior Systems Administrator contributes significantly to maximizing JHFRE employee and shops productivity and to improving service delivery efficiency through data aggregation from the computerized maintenance management system (CMMS), currently IBM Maximo. The CMMS is used to record and store all maintenance request information, which becomes the basis for setting daily and weekly shop schedules according to employee availability, skills, parts and material availability, and equipment access. The Administrator will also work with Plant Operations staff and JHFRE units to identify and provide solutions to potential service delivery problems to ensure high quality service delivery and consistency.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Analysis and Requirements Gathering:
- Define moderately complex business/facilities/education problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes.
- Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Gather moderately complex system requirements by meeting with clients and researching existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications.
- Uses various query and reporting tools, designs, writes, and runs basic database queries.
Design and Development:
- Acts as webmaster for JHFRE and manages web content management website workflows.
- Lead development of e-Forms and electronic business processes.
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for moderately complex projects in order to ensure product is delivered in a timely fashion according to software lifecycle standards.
- Write functional/technical specifications by taking the provided moderately complex system requirements and putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop technical solutions.
- Develop/change data input, files/database structures, data transformation, algorithms, and data output by using appropriate computer language/tools to provide technical solutions for moderately complex application development tasks.
- Document code and associated processes by adhering to development methodologies, adding code comments and appropriate documentation to various knowledgebase system(s) to simplify code maintenance and to improve support.
Testing and Documentation:
- Create and document moderately complex test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
- Test all changes by using the appropriate moderately complex test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
Implementation and Maintenance:
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Monitor changes and resolve moderately complex problems by responding as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
- Provide support by triaging and resolving moderately complex issues to ensure prompt, effective service.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Additional experience may be substituted for education.
- Three years of related experience required. Three years of IBM Maximo systems administration experience strongly desired. Additional education may be substituted for experience.
- Development experience in a scripting language (PHP, Perl, Python, etc.) preferred.
- Experience with programming languages, web application design and development preferred.
- Experience with Archibus or PMWeb applications preferred.
- Creating SQL reports preferred.
- Developing content in WordPress preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Writes and communicates clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer and other equipment on a frequent basis.
- Ability to frequently communicate with coworkers.
- Ability to move about.
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: