Senior Clinical Nurse
Starting Salary Range: $70,103 - $96,472
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday – Friday 8:00 – 4:30
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 33-MD:Johns Hopkins Bayview
Department name: 10002817-SOM DOM Pulmonary
Personnel area: School of Medicine
This position will serve as part of a comprehensive team of health care professionals in the pulmonary division’s outpatient setting at Johns Hopkins Bayview Hospital. Position will work closely with the Clinical Director and Clinical Services Manager to maintain high quality care and patient satisfaction.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Monitor and follow-up on diagnostic test results, prescriptions, medical equipment, insurance requirements and documentation needs for the diverse patients in the pulmonary division’s outpatient clinical programs
- Telephone triage for patient problems and response to therapy and communicate to the program physicians.
- Educate patients about the disease process and current and investigational therapies, including specialty medications, inhaled antibiotics, inhaled mucolytics, and antibiotic treatment regimens for the various pulmonary diseases.
- Organize the admission of patients to the hospital. Provide pertinent medical patient information to personnel involved in the in-patient care when a patient is admitted to the hospital.
- Direct the discharge planning of pulmonary patients.
- Coordinate and maintains contact with the different home care agencies and specialty pharmacies in charge of outpatient medical treatment and care.
- Coordinate the outpatient appointments, procedures and consultations of patients with other subspecialties.
- Evaluate plans of care and modifies plan to promote changes to meet patient needs.
- Facilitate referral and evaluation of pulmonary patients to other subspecialties. Screen medical records and facilitate scheduling of new referrals to the various pulmonary clinics.
- Schedule and assist with diagnostic testing including CT scans and pulmonary function testing.
- Serve as a resource for pharmacy technicians that facilitate insurance authorization for medical therapy.
- Coordinate and develop relationships with industry representatives.
- Assistance and coordination of data collection and for manuscript preparation.
- Participate in the short and long range program planning regarding the various pulmonary clinical programs and their clinical, research and training activities.
- Participate in the development of standard evaluation and treatment protocols for patients of these programs.
- Act as a liaison between referring physicians and the pulmonary outpatient clinics.
- Act as a liaison between hospital staff, including nurses, physicians and other departments, pulmonary division fellows and these programs.
- Together with the Program Faculty, ensure that all components of the program are responsive to the needs of patients and providers. Respond to patient and provider complaints and implement corrective actions as needed.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
- Registered Nurse, licensure in State of Maryland or State where currently practicing
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing or related discipline required.
- Minimum of two years of related nursing experience. More experience preferred.
- Additional experience may substitute for bachelor’s degree. Related master’s degree may be considered in lieu of experience.
- MS degree
- ICU Experience
- Pulmonary clinical experience
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of research methodology
- Working knowledge of computers and basic computer software
- Must be able to independently assimilate and evaluate clinical data
- Strong interpersonal, and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical skills to develop goals, performance objectives, and action plans
- Ability to demonstrate good clinical judgment in patient management and assume responsibility for decisions, consequences and results having an impact on people in the workplace, patient care and potential or actual research subjects. Uses judgment to maintain and improve the quality of service within the clinical service and research program. Clinical decisions are made in conjunction with one of the program attendings.
Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
- Current CPR certification and completion of the JHH credentialing process is required prior to start date.
Any specific physical requirements for the job:
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time
- Standing and/or walking for extended periods of time
- Assisting patients during evaluations within crowded clinical environment
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard
- Communication skills using the spoken word
- Ability to see within normal parameters
- Ability to hear within normal range
- Ability to move about
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: