Working Title: Research Technologist
Starting Salary Range: $14.00-$19.25 (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30-5 with occasional weekends
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10003299-SOM Psy Behavioral Neuroscience
Personnel area: Johns Hopkins University
Perform laboratory tasks and complete assays following common or established protocols and procedures.
- Under the general supervision of a faculty investigator, post-doctoral fellow or laboratory supervisor, is responsible for performing analyses and testing on animals, human fluids and/or tissue or cultured cell lines.
- Work requires basic use of scientific methods, procedures and techniques gained through previous training and experience. Uses basic understanding of theory behind experiments and applies basic analytical skills to implement assigned projects, and to identify and trouble-shoot situations needing special attention
- Follows established procedures or protocols and utilizes aseptic technique to perform laboratory tests and/or experiments which may include: dissecting and preserving tissue from rodents (mice and rats), genotyping, immunohistochemistry, Western blotting, rodent surgery including stereotaxic brain injections, intracranial cannulae placement and sciatic nerve transection, and rodent behavioral assays.
- Monitors inventory levels, orders materials and supplies in accordance with established policies and procedures, counts orders upon receipt.
- Shall perform other duties as are consonant with this position under the direction of the Supervisor.
Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or related field. Six months related experience
Some related undergraduate or post-undergraduate work experience preferred
Any specific physical requirements for the job:
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard.
- Communication skills using the spoken word.
- Ability to see within normal parameters.
- Ability to hear within normal range.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: