Senior Research Specialist II
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Work Schedule/Hours: Monday-Friday/8:30-5p/37.5 hours
Location: East Baltimore
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The Department of Oncology is seeking a Sr. Research Specialist II that will be responsible for scientific and administrative activities and oversight of a laboratory. The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of overall objectives and interests of lab research and will make intellectual contribution in a specialized core facility. The person in this role will also co-author/author publications, contribute original thoughts, hypotheses, and analysis to write reports, abstracts and manuscripts.This ndividual could have significant input in research design and data collection and interpretation based on advanced knowledge/ understanding of activity.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Will assist the Director in developing the core facility
- Develops and validates next generation MANAFEST assay platforms
- Assists in assay preparation and data analysis
- Supports research and development for new clinical diagnostic tests, therefore must clearly understand the importance of technique, safety, and work quality as they relate to the impact upon patient care.
- Reviews techniques and research protocols to ensure reproducibility and issues recommendations.
- Documents results under quality assurance guidelines.
- Resolves cell culture and DNA yield problems that are connected with reagent preparation, dilution, expiration dates, and other procedural functions.
- Works with laboratory staff to evaluate their technical knowledge and skills, and assists in the training of other laboratory personnel.
- Acts as a lead technical authority overseeing laboratory staff and is responsible for the overall daily operation of the laboratory including workload and personnel scheduling, quality control, inventory, and equipment maintenance.
- Assists with the development and administration of laboratory budgets. Performs other related administrative and professional duties.
- Acts as the direct point of contact for industrial supplier sales personnel and technical support. Prepares periodic reports on workflow for laboratory faculty Director and BKI leadership.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or related field and six years of experience required.
- Additional education may substitute for some experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula:
18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience.
Master’s or PhD degree in immunology, biology, chemistry or related field desired.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: