Patient Service Associate, Children's Health Center
CHILDREN'S HEALTH CENTER
Patient Service Associate for Duke Children's Health Center
- The Patient Service Associate is an integral part of the patient care team in the clinic /service area.
- The Patient Service Associate is responsible for patient registration activities including patient identification, documentation of any special needs (language, mobility or other ADA identified needs), demographic and insurance updates.
- The PSA must ensure all financial and compliance related documents are completed and documented, check-in, check-out, point of service collections (deductible, copay, coinsurance and balances), referral and order management, appointment coordination/scheduling, work queue management, MyChart enrollment and cash management according to established policies and procedures.
- The Patient Service Associate is expected to follow all regulatory and compliance policies.
- The Patient Service Associate is also responsible for living Duke’s values and demonstrating expected behaviors while contributing to creating a positive patient experience and building a positive work environment.
- The Patient Service Associate will maintain a professional image in appearance and over the phone.
- The Patient Service Associate contributes to ensuring the registration desk and waiting areas safeguard patient privacy, confidentiality and safety and are well maintained and clean.
Preparation for clinic 10%
- 1a. Review listing of today’s patients and next day patients (Department Appointment Report –DAR). Complete prior preparation activities as required by clinic / department area.
- 1b. Manage clinic work queues following appropriate policies and procedures. Missing Registration items that can be cleared for patients prior to or at arrival Referral work queues, orders work queue
- 1c. Obtain Imprest cash bag
Patient check-in 20%
- 2a. Identify correct patients in Maestro Care. Verify / update patient demographic and insurance data s needed. Run RTE (Real Time Eligibility) for any updates or changes to insurance.
- 2b. Complete check in – responding as needed to alerts, warnings and confirmation checks.
- 2c. Refer patients with financial questions to the Financial Care Counselor.
- 2d. Present and educate patients on required forms (MSPQ, COA/COT, ABN). Obtain signatures on forms as required and process forms per policy.
- 2e. Collect co-payments, deductibles, prepayments and balances on accounts due; post payments correctly in Maestro Care. Provide receipt. Patients unable to pay should be sent to the Financial Care Counselor.
- 2f. Coordinate all labs/procedures in accordance by physician /provider request.
Scheduling tests and procedures.20%
- 3a. Complete ancillary scheduling accurately, according to physician orders.
- 3b. Ensure all tests and consultations are scheduled in the correct sequence.
- 3c. Explain test preparations to patients, according to standard practice instructions.
Cash Management 10%
- 4a. Explain billing and share Financial Assistance Policy FAQs to patients according to PRMO policies.
- 4b. Collect patient liability (payments due to include copay, deductible, coinsurance, prepayments as appropriate and balances).
- 4c. Ensure that patient receives financial counseling if necessary, based on ability to pay, account status flags, billing inquiries and waiver requirements.
- 4e. Balance cash collections to User Batch Report daily.
- 4f. Reconcile cash discrepancies as required.
- 4g. Secure cash appropriately at all times during clinic hours. Return cash bag at end of shift to Cash Manager.
Patient check-out (as applicable) 20%
- 5a. Identify patient; review the Check Outscreen or the After Visit Summary (AVS ) for orders (same day or future), referrals and follow up information. Schedule as appropriate. Coordinate /schedule follow up appointments ensuring correct appointment type, location, provider and referring physician, as applicable.
Customer Service, Safety and Work Culture 2.5%
- 6a. Interact with patients, visitors and staff in a professional manner at all times. Be available and greet patients and visitors immediately upon presentation.
- 6b. Meet or exceed patient expectations at each encounter. Anticipate patients' needs; inform patients of delays; offer alternatives (cafeteria, reschedule).
- 6c. Provide directions, organize escorts, and arrange for interpreters and taxis as needed.
- 6e. Contribute to a positive work environment by living Duke’s values and demonstrating expected behaviors.
- 6f. Report safety issues timely to clinic leadership and report personal safety incidents within 24 hours of occurrence.
- 6g. Identify operational improvements to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of services provided. Communicate opportunities to management.
Answering telephone; delivering messages to physicians, nurses and others 10%
- 7a. Take complete messages, indicating time, date, caller, caller's, name of recipient, action requested by caller, initials of messenger. Report obtained medical information from patients and referring physicians accurately, completely and timely.
- 7b. Disseminate messages according to practice communication standards
- 7c. Review In basket for messages throughout the day and respond per clinic policy and procedure.
- 7d. Act as a liaison for individuals requesting information on clinical services, referrals, research studies as appropriate. Ensure resolution of information requests
Perform downtown procedures as necessary for patient check-in and order entry. 1%
Maintain printers, computers and supplies in the work area. 1%
- 9a. Change paper, cartridges and manage paper jams in printers and faxes.
Attend meetings and training sessions. 2.0
- 10a. Attend staff meetings and other clinic meetings as requested.
- 10b. Participate in all system, regulatory and policy training.
- 10c. Attend PSA education sessions.
Comply with all regulatory and compliance policies and processes 1.5%
Perform other related clerical duties as assigned by Service Access Manager. 2.0%
Requisition Number 401475631
Duke Entity PRMO
Job Code 4502 PATIENT SERVICE ASSOCIATE
Job Family Level B2
Full Time / Part Time FULLTIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires knowledge of basic grammar and mathematical principles normally acquired through high school education
Minimum of one year of work experience in directly communicating and providing service to patients or public; preferably in a healthcare related field. Experience in effectively coordinating multiple tasks or activities.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Auto req ID